Job Description: Ephemeral Ponds Survey Data Coordinator
This position is responsible for developing a geodatabase to support the Ephemeral Ponds Accuracy Assessment Survey. This position will serve as the GIS and data coordinator for the survey. The work will include data preparation and formation, geospatial analysis, and reporting initial output to the ephemeral ponds field ecologist for use in contacting landowners to gain access to private lands (40%). The work will also involve receipt of field data, performance of quality assurance checks and entry into the geodatabase (40%), and summarizing of survey results for data analysis, cartographic ouptut and report preparation (20%).
- 40% A. Manage GIS Data for Ephemeral Ponds Accuracy Assessment (EPAA)
- A.1. Discover GIS based parcel data available from 8 different county land information offices and assemble into common format.
- A.2. Maintain and update data systems used for GIS analysis using ESRI standard products such as, ArcGIS 9.x.
- A.3. Maintain spatial representations of parcel data, ephemeral ponds mapping and monitoring data.
- A.4. Provide coordination and assist ephemeral ponds field ecologist, and other DNR staff and with managing GIS based ephemeral pond information.
- 40% B. Perform data preparation, GIS analysis and formatting for EPAA
- B.1. Format spatial databases such as the Potential Ephemeral Ponds Geodatabase, land use (WiscLAND, SEWRPC), soils (SURGO), and digital elevation models for integration with county parcel data.
- B.2. Perform GIS analysis on the assembled data to derive parcel ownership and contact information and format tabular and geospatial output for efficient use by the field ecologist.
- B.3. Streamline GIS analysis processes used to extent possible for speed and efficiency. 2
- 20% C. Create data summary for report preparation
- C. 1. Create maps and tables to summarize data for WDNR, county partners, EPA and others.
- Use of ArcGIS 8.x or higher software, and Excel.
- Production of high quality maps and tables for field use and for technical report.
- Experience with using GIS parcel data layers, soils data and land cover data.
- Coursework or work experience in Geography, Aerial Photo-interpretation, Wetland Science, Soil Science, Limnology, Zoology, Aquatic Ecology, Statistics or other fields related to mapping ephemeral ponds, including accuracy assessment.
- Good communication skills, particularly over the phone. Must be able to explain the purpose of the ephemeral ponds mapping project to landowners. Must be able to coordinate with both landowners and the ephemeral ponds field ecologist.
- Good writing skills, including an informational letter to landowners, requesting access permission.
To Apply: Submit Form 9100-162 LTE Application (hard copy also available at most DNR offices) , resume, cover letter and references to:
Tom W. Bernthal
PO Box 7921
Madison, WI 53707-7921
RE: Job Code 7700
Application materials will be reviewed and the most qualified candidates will be invited for an interview.