The City of Sun Prairie seeks an employee to assist with GIS data development, ongoing maintenance, data conversions, GPS data collection, spatial analyses, web map system development, and cartography. The successful candidate is assured hands-on exposure to many facets of GIS in a municipal government setting. Progressive responsibilities are available to motivated team members. Work hours and schedule may be flexible. A student internship arrangement may also be possible. Start date is as soon as possible.
Essential Job Functions:
• Re-project, convert, edit, or create geographic data as necessary using ArcGIS, and/or MapInfo.
• Assure GIS spatial, attribute, and metadata quality.
• Create and update data models for spatial data sets.
• Frequent communication and documentation of progress will be required.
• Prepare GIS data and cartographic layouts for various City departments.
• Update and maintain a wide variety of spatial data sets and documentation.
• Support GPS data collection with ArcPad or other software.
• Work with open source geospatial applications such as QGIS.
Requirements of Work:
• Fluent with ArcGIS 9.x and/or 10.x.
• Experience with geoprocessing, preferably with ESRI Model Builder desired.
• Geodatabase experience, including creation of domains and data model development desired.
• Ability to independently learn new software and methods and solve problems.
• Attention to detail and accuracy when editing GIS data and topology.
• Experience using relational databases – e.g. Microsoft Access and/or SQL Server.
• Understanding of concepts including projections, datums, and coordinate systems.
• Familiarity with GPS units and primary data collection in the field.
• Basic familiarity with Python or Visual Basic desired.
• Familiarity with PHP, HTML, XML and similar programming languages desired.
• Possess excellent writing and verbal communications skills.
• Experience with AutoCAD systems and file conversion to GIS formats desired.
• Familiar with metadata standards.
• Experience with open source web-based map services desired.
• Work well independently and in collaboration with others.
• Proficient with Microsoft Office and Adobe products.
• Experience creating and updating map books desired.
• Desire to provide outstanding quality spatial data services to a variety of departments.
• Applicants without relevant course work or work experience in GIS will not be considered.
• A criminal background check is required prior to an employment offer.
Additional Requirements and Information:
• Work hours will be approximately 8 to 10 hours per week average based on availability of employee.
How to apply:
Applicants must use online application process online. Attach a cover letter, resume, and a separate list of relevant geography and information technology coursework and training.