This is a professional position under the direct supervision of the Planning & Zoning Administrator. The employee in this position will be a key part of the department and is responsible for the preparation of planning documents. Work involves performing planning duties to design, conduct, and implement studies; preparing grant proposals and administering grant awards, making recommendations for programs to promote the responsible growth and development of the County and its communities, with emphasis of land use, housing, transportation and economic development. The employee must possess a background of planning education and be able to assist in conducting research and preparation of planning documents. This position requires an ability to conduct independent work and judgment, and the ability to work on several projects with various committees at the same time.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
The following duties are determined to be normal for this position. These are not to be construed as exclusive or all-inclusive. Other duties may be required and/or assigned.
- Makes recommendations on priorities and revisions for the county’s comprehensive plan, farmland preservation and outdoor recreation plans to guide future development and in the County and its communities. Assists in the development of the department budget(s).
- Assists towns, cities and villages in developing planning documents.
- Compiles and analyzes information and data on economic, social and physical factors affecting land use and evaluates these for environmental impact and impact on present and future residential, commercial, industrial, agricultural, recreational and community development.
- Prepares written reports and makes oral presentations for appropriate committee or department review, revision and policy determination.
- Assembles and analyzes population, land use, economic housing, and other comprehensive planning data relative to the nine (9) statutory comprehensive planning elements of Wisconsin law.
- Works with and assists planning consultants, public officials, citizens groups, units of government, plan commissions, and other City/County agencies on comprehensive planning and attends meetings necessary to Comprehensive Planning.
- Prepares oral presentations, written reports, maps and graphic presentations as necessary using the county’s Geographical Information System (GIS) as requested.
- Prepares public information programs and responds to inquiries and input from the public on planning issues.
- Assists in the preparation of necessary reports for the operation and progress of mapping and other programs of the county.
- Assists in the maintenance and expansion of the County’s GIS.
- Performs other duties and responsibilities as assigned by the Planning & Zoning Administrator.
- Bachelor degree in Land Use Planning or other closely related field with a minimum of one year experience working in Land Use, Zoning, Land Conservation, or a related field; or any combination of education and experience that would provide equivalent knowledge, skills, and abilities.
- A valid Wisconsin driver’s license is required.
- Knowledge and experience with a multi-jurisdictional planning approach in Wisconsin is highly desired.
- Cell phone required.