Primary Objective of Position:
To maintain the integrity and advance productive use of the municipal geographic information systems (GIS) by providing the City with thematic mapping through the use of a GIS system. Provide quality customer service and communications in performance of daily GIS duties throughout the City.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- GIS Responsibilities
- Provide technical support to all City departments for all software problems including GIS.
- Evaluate and recommend hardware and software purchases and upgrades as needed to maintain the current GIS system and other applications as directed.
- Create spatial and non-spatial GIS data sets, and maintain the integrity of data sets by keeping the data current and accurate.
- Manage and maintain all ESRE ArcSDE enterprise geodatabases including performance of configuration and tuning, version upgrades (SQL Server and ArcSDE), database security and access and ArcSDE compression and version management.
- Build and maintain all web mapping applications using ArcGIS Server.
- Work with other departments and external agencies to incorporate their existing data and needs in to the GIS system and applications.
- Produce layouts, charts, and GIS-related posters as requested.
- Perform routine review and updates of GIS applications as necessary to maintain a suite of current technical tools and reliable applications.
- Perform installation and upgrading of GIS software and hardware, including full range of clients (including tablets / smart phones) and servers, processing of source data and execution of data conversions.
- Ability to develop and support mobile applications using ESRI and other tools.
- Provide training assistance in the operation of GIS and other software applications as directed.
- Work in partnership with LOGIS and Hennepin County as necessary to ensure all GIS system user needs are met.
- Assist other staff members at various levels in obtaining a higher level of competence in the use of GIS tools.
2. Other Department Responsibilities
- Provide graphics and maps and other property-related information to both internal and external customers as directed.
- Work in partnership with supervisor to provide technical assistance and troubleshooting to address specific system needs and solve hardware and software problems.
- Execute software system tests, and analyze test data to ensure that the software is performing to specifications; and develop implementation of plans and tests.
- Communicate with vendors/consultants to specify products and services to meet needs; assist in the recommendation and selection of vendors and purchase of products and services.
3. Other Duties
- Regularly attend GIS user group meeting as requested by the department director.
- Assist supervisor in determining the GIS needs required by all software applications used throughout the City.
- Assist supervisor in determining and meeting the citywide needs for GIS and related data integration and sharing.
- Perform other duties as assigned or apparent.
- Bachelor's Degree in Geographic Information Systems, computer science, engineering or related field, or equivalent experience.
- Three years experience with ArcView, Arc/Info, ArcGIS Server and/or other ESRI GIS products, with general knowledge of surveying, mapping and photogrammetric techniques.
- Experience in information technologies including software and hardware installation and maintenance, and GIS software implementation and data conversion.
- Knowledge of Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio and Microsoft Visual Studio.
- Ability ot operate GIS systems, including digitally collected topography and terrain models and land databases.
- Valid MN driver's license.
- Ability to communicate clearly and efficiently in writing, verbally, and electronically.
- Must be able to organize, plan and manage multiple tasks with minimal supervision.
- Ability to establish and maintain a good working relationship with colleagues.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule including some weekend, evening and early mornings.
- Ability to physically perform all essential duties and responsibilities including sit or stand for prolonged periods of time, ability to kneel and bend while installing computer systems, manual dexterity, and ability to operate assigned equipment.
- Three years of work experience in a governmental agency or engineering consulting firm, preparing plans graphics and computer databases for municipal-related projects.
- Three years experience with web based GIS application and providing GIS support to users.
- Experience with network operating systems and administration.
This positions is eligible for a competitive benefits package.