The Baldwin Group, Inc. (TBG) seeks an exceptional individual to provide remote sensing and geospatial coordination and technical support in the Great Lakes region. The successful candidate will support our contract with the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) Office of Ocean and Coastal Resource Management and Coastal Services Center. The position will be located in Chanhassen, Minnesota, at the NOAA National Weather Service's National Operational Hydrologic Remote Sensing Center.
The successful candidate will serve as the Great Lakes regional geospatial coordinator assisting in the development and implementation of regional activities, coordinating and directly providing technical assistance in the region, and participating in other GIS and remote sensing projects.
Core responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the list below:
- Support product development as identified by regional needs throughout the Great Lakes. The following potential products are included: Coastal Change Analysis Program (C-CAP) land cover data and trend information; a lake-level visualization tool (in development); a product on the economic impacts of riverine flooding; topographic and bathymetric data; and the creation of Web-based maps.
- Respond to geospatial technical assistance requests and coordinate and share information with other technical staff members outside the region
- Develop case studies from the Great Lakes focused on the application of data, tools, or training to address specific coastal management outcomes
- Develop contextual maps, such as ESRI's story maps, that will be hosted on the Digital Coast website and possibly on the Great Lakes Guidebook website
- Attend and participate in relevant geospatial and regional meetings across the Great Lakes. This includes participating in regional geospatial work groups; assisting with coordination of state and federal mapping and application efforts; developing geospatial tools, information, and regional data coordination work; and providing technical assistance.
- Coordinate projects and programs in the region with a focus on helping coastal states and communities make informed decisions for the use of their lands and waters.
- Identify relationship-building opportunities in coordination with the Great Lakes team and other National Ocean Service and NOAA regional programs.
Travel throughout the region is required as well as to Charleston, South Carolina, and Silver Spring, Maryland.
- M.S. in geography, remote sensing, GIS, coastal management, or related field, plus three years related experience
- Self-starter with ability to work in a small team environment without direct day-to-day, on-site supervision
- Ability to understand coastal management issues and use geospatial technologies to help address issues.
- Strong communication and organizational skills as well as excellent interpersonal skills
- Demonstrated ability to build relationships with management, colleagues, and external partners
- Three years' experience using ERDAS and ESRI ArcGIS
- Experience with land cover mapping or elevation data
- Knowledge of coastal and marine programs in the Great Lakes and within NOAA
- Experience working with state and federal agencies, tribes, academia, and nongovernmental organizations
- Demonstrated interpersonal and facilitation skills