Under the primary supervision and general direction of a Senior Civil Engineer, this position utilizes computer systems, including MicroStation, ArcMap and, Microsoft Access, for various applications; prepares engineering drawings and various exhibits; assists engineers in various project design applications; maintains records of project site information and other department file management records. Under the secondary supervision of the GIS Manager, performs Geographic Information Systems (GIS) tasks and works closely with the Department of Information Technology (IT) on GIS related applications; utilizes GIS software to analyze data and create GIS exhibits and maps; provides various services to other Village departments and agencies as necessary. Responsible to manage special projects consisting of small capital projects to procurement of equipment and services.
- Assists EPW staff with the collection, maintenance and utilization of the village’s geographic databases within EPW.
- Coordinates with Information Technology and the GIS Manager for intermediate and advanced GIS tasks.
- Provides basic technical assistance and training to EPW users on GIS applications as well as GPS collection devices.
- Coordinates with the GIS Manager to assist with the implementation, evaluation and interpretation of GIS policies and procedures within EPW.
- Design processes and procedures within the position’s discretion and expertise to increase effectiveness, efficiency and economy of work process, specifically as related to asset management and data collection.
- Works with EPW staff to utilize GIS for maintenance, asset management and long term planning needs.
- Performs project reporting, data creation, data conversion, data transfer, data verification and map production through GIS, Microsoft Access and other reporting databases.
- Compiles and integrates geospatial data from a wide variety of sources for analysis and is responsible for representation of data in maps.
- Prepares computer generated plans, exhibits, and details utilizing MicroStation, AutoCAD, or ArcGIS.
- Responsible to manage special projects as directed by their supervisor consisting of small capital projects to procurement of equipment and services, project management and coordination among employees and other customers both within and outside of EPW. Develops, coordinates and/or administers initiatives with little or no supervision.
- In the performance of these duties, the position is expected to make recommendations on the best course of action.
- Responsible for file management for Engineering Division including digital and paper documentation.
- Assists Engineering and Public Works operational staff in researching JULIE locates.
- Assists the public with survey benchmarks, interpretation of plans, and other engineering related information.
- Performs field surveys.
- Miscellaneous general office duties such as assisting IT with the maintenance of copiers and scanners.
- Maintains Village project information as well as other information on the village’s web site.
- Performs other tasks and duties as assigned.
- Associates of Science Degree with major coursework in Civil Engineering Technology, CADD Design or related field, or equivalent vocational certification with major coursework in Engineering or Engineering Technology
- Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university in Geographical Information Systems, geography or closely related field preferred.
- A minimum of one year of responsible experience or training in CADD/GIS engineering, construction, drafting and/or surveying work.
- Knowledge of GIS terminology and integration of digital information from various sources to and from GIS including field GIS collection devices.
- Working knowledge of MicroStation or AutoCAD. Possession of a valid driver’s.
- Proficiency with current computer software systems, including email, calendar programs, job specific software, and customer service systems preferred or within the first six months of employment.
- Working knowledge of municipal civil engineering related services and terminology.
- Working knowledge of construction methods and materials.
- Ability to establish and maintain good work relationships with co-workers, residents, property owners, contractors and general public in a professional manner.
- Knowledge of field data collection devices including survey and GPS equipment.
- Ability to read and interpret engineering plans and prepare written reports, specifications and correspondence.
- Capable of making sound decisions through analytical abilities to resolve complaints, conduct inspections, and to make professional judgments when enforcing departmental policies, procedures and operations.
Apply online at link included