This is a full-time position in the Treasurer's Office located in the Marathon County Courthouse. Normal hours are Monday - Friday 8 a.m. until 4:30 p.m. with a half hour unpaid lunch. This is technical computer mapping work of considerable complexity in the Property Division of the Treasurer’s Office.
Work involves preparing and updating a variety of maps and plats, primarily from legal descriptions, existing certified surveys, and portions of existing maps using a computerized drafting system. Work is performed in accordance with departmental procedures or through instructions received and in accordance with accepted drafting techniques. Independent judgment is exercised in applying technical knowledge to work performed. Work is originated from recorded documents received from the Register of Deeds Office which change legal descriptions of property, and by the Lead Property Lister or Treasurer in upgrading former maps. Much work is self-initiated based upon department work flow. Employee receives general supervision from the Treasurer with most work reviewed through adherence with departmental procedures and by observation and review of finished work.
One year full-time work experience with automated mapping, preferably supplemented by college courses in geography, cartography, drafting or other related area; OR an associate's or bachelor’s degree in a related field including exposure to automated mapping. Skill using ESRI ArcGIS software required. Skill using coordinate geometry (COGO) is preferred. Other combinations of education and work experience that provide the desired knowledge, skills and abilities may also be considered.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Considerable knowledge of automated mapping techniques; skill in operating an automated mapping system including computer workstations, digitizers, plotters, and printers.
- Knowledge of surveying methods and terminology.
- Ability to read legal descriptions and apply information when drawing maps.
- Ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions accurately.
- Ability to discriminate between subtle shades of different colors.
- Ability to work and explain legal descriptions and maps with a variety of individuals including property owners, realtors, surveyors, abstractors, and other County staff.
- Skill using ESRI ArcGIS 10.x GIS software.
- Skill using coordinate geometry (COGO).
- Knowledge and skills using data topology rules.
- Skill in accurately processing tax collections and balancing cash drawers.
- Maintains effective working relationships with the public, other employees, and local and state agencies and municipalities.
- Understands the County's and departments mission, core values, plans, and priorities for the future.
- Ability to contribute to a positive work culture that fosters excellent customer service and teamwork.ftware is preferred.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Operates computer assisted mapping hardware and software in generating maps as part of the geographic information system. Assists in evaluating mapping programs and computer mapping technologies.
- Develops and maintains maps of townships, sections within townships, locations and names of roads, locations of properties, connections of properties, and showing other similar information, drawing primarily from information obtained from surveys, existing maps or plats, and recorded legal descriptions. Work is done using a computerized drafting system using ESRI ArcGIS 10.x software.
- Researches information relating to property dimensions, property locations, location and type of existing surveying monuments, and similar information.
- Updates existing maps and plats as necessary based on new information received.
- Plots lots and subdivisions on base maps; draws or redraws plats to conform with survey findings.
- Analyzes and evaluates researched data for computer data entry.
- Assists with tax parcel updating.
- Assists with tax collection during peak times throughout the year. Balances cash drawers as needed.
- Maintains quality control on the digitizing of maps which may be performed by others.
- Provides exceptional customer service, including researching and providing answers to customers' questions or providing appropriate information sources.
- Develops solutions to work issues that add value for our customers.
- Participates in establishing professional development goals that are supportive of broader County goals.
- Maintains regular and predictable attendance, works extra hours as required.
- Performs related work as required.
Apply online at link included