The Wisconsin Traffic Operations and Safety Laboratory (TOPS Lab), part of the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering at the University of Wisconsin-Madison, is a comprehensive state-of-the-art program spanning many elements of transportation research and development. The TOPS Lab is the focal point for traffic operations and safety research at UW-Madison, providing a forum for classroom teaching and experimentation with the latest transportation technologies and systems. With over 40 research projects active at any time, the TOPS Lab also provides research, development, and engineering services to the Wisconsin Department of Transportation (WisDOT) and other local, state, coalition, and federal organizations.
The TOPS Lab is seeking a qualified individual to fill the position of Transportation Engineer to support several initiatives related to traffic engineering, transportation operations, technology applications, and multistate transportation operations coalitions. This includes a variety of projects in the transportation systems management and operations (TSM&O), intelligent transportation systems (ITS), and multistate operations realms. The Transportation Engineer position is part of the TOPS Lab TSM&O Program, and reports to the TOPS Lab TSM&O Program Manager.
Traffic Operations and Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITS) Engineering, Research, and Evaluation Support Activities
- Assist TOPS senior staff in utilizing and evaluating emerging ITS technologies such as surveillance/traffic detection technologies
- Support the maintenance of ITS inventories in spatial databases
- Support updates, needs assessments, and tracking for activities related to planning for operations
- Update and maintain statewide ITS Architecture in Turbo software and online on TOPS website
- Utilize geographic information systems with spatial inventory for planning, maintenance, and stakeholder coordination activity
- Support traveler information systems development, testing, maintenance, and performance reporting
Multistate Transportation Operations Coalitions Support Activities
- Assist TOPS in facilitating and administering multistate coalition activity related to transportation operations, including the Great Lakes Transportation Operations Coalition (GLRTOC), North/West Passage Pooled Fund, and the Lake Michigan Interstate Gateway Alliance
- Under the direction of TOPS senior staff, execute specific transportation engineering tasks related to multistate coalition initiatives
- Update and maintain work plans, meeting documents, other resources, and web content for multistate coalitions
- Deploy and maintain Bluetooth traffic detectors, support the use and reporting of performance data from the detectors
Traffic Operations and Engineering Research Activities
- In coordination with TOPS senior staff, support the development and application of traffic engineering and analytical models using a variety of software
- Support transportation engineering and research using traffic data and related spatial data in ArcGIS and other software
- Assist TOPS senior staff in monitoring, data collection, and analysis of traffic operations and ITS deployments
Qualifications & Experience:
- BS in Civil Engineering from ABET Accredited College or University, preferably with coursework emphasis in transportation engineering.
- Two years of experience with traffic engineering and spatial information tools such as traffic analysis and GIS, as well as a desire to learn and apply new tools. Working knowledge of traffic data collection techniques and practices, including field device technologies.
- Basic Internet publishing, with WordPress experience preferred. Excellent oral and written communication skills to relay results of engineering and research work. Ability to work proficiently with typical MS Office products.
- Ability to work well in a team environment with UW, DOT, and Contractor representatives. Ability to work with minimal supervision.
- Engineer in Training (EIT) Certificate, or ability to obtain one within 12 months, required.
- Must possess a valid Wisconsin Driver's License and have a driving record that meets Office of Risk Management requirements
For more information and to apply, see link included