Under general supervision, performs moderately complex work for the Planning Services Division. Work may include, but is not limited to area and site planning, the development, preparation, and administration of plans in the areas of comprehensive planning, current planning, housing and neighborhood development, economic development, sustainability, historic preservation, transportation and urban design. The Assistant Planner operates under the direct supervision of the Planning Manager and works under the general direction of an experienced Associate Planner, Planner and Principal Planner. This position is expected to work independently within established policies, practices and guidelines and exercise independent judgment on a daily basis. This position works in cooperation with staff, and may serve as a lead person over various staff.
Duties & Responsibilities:
The following duties are normal for this position. These are not to be construed as exclusive or all-inclusive. Other duties may be required and assigned by the supervisor.
- Reviews or assists in the review of rezoning, ordinance amendments, site plans, conditional use permits, variances, and other development proposals. 15%
- Review or assist in the review of less complex development proposals and site plans for conformance with codes, plans and regulations. 15%
- Reviews, develops or assists in developing planning studies and reports in support of new and updated plans, programs, and regulations. 10%
- Assists with updates and maintenance of the Comprehensive Plan and land development regulations. 10%
- Inspects properties following citizen complaints or through routine visits about the condition of the premises. Assists in resolving citizen and customer issues. 30%
- Represents the City or assists in providing guidance and support to citizen committees, neighborhood organizations, boards and commissions, public meetings, community and professional organizations and interdepartmental teams relative to community planning and land development regulations. 10%
- Prepares and presents professional reports, provides information to the public regarding development regulations. 5%
- Attends a substantial number of evening and weekend meetings. 5%
- Performs other duties as assigned
Education and Experience:
Associates Degree in urban planning, architecture, public policy, or related area of study in addition to two years of planning related experience. A Bachelor's Degree is preferred and may substitute for two years of experience. Experience with GIS and or AutoCAD and Adobe. Valid drivers' license and good driving record.
Necessary Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of the principles and practices of planning.
- Knowledge of a relevant planning specialization such as land use, economic development, sustainability, development controls, transportation, urban design, neighborhoods, or housing is desired.
- Knowledge of and ability to interpret and enforce city codes and ordinances.
- Ability to gather, analyze and present data both orally and in writing.
- Working knowledge of computer hardware and software programs, which may include Microsoft Office, internet applications, AutoCAD, Adobe and GIS software.
- Ability to prepare and present technical information clearly to large groups and the public.
- Ability to read blueprints and maps.
- Working skill performing mathematical computations and analysis.
- Oral communication and interpersonal skills to explain rules and procedures clearly to the public.
- Ability to utilize creative problem-solving skills to gather relevant information to solve vaguely defined practical problems.
- Ability to follow detailed written and oral instructions.
- Ability to conduct field evaluations and assessments.
- Ability to work on several projects or issues simultaneously.
- Ability to handle stressful situations.
- Ability to work independently or in a team environment as needed.
In evaluating candidates for this position, the City may consider a combination of education, training and experience which provides the necessary knowledge, skills and abilities to perform the essential duties of the position.
Apply online at link included