The City of Minneapolis is seeking a motivated early career planner to join the Transportation Planning and Programming Division of Public Works to assist in all aspects of transportation planning related to citywide and regional transportation projects. The ideal candidate will have a strong understanding of multimodal transportation planning and have the flexibility to support a wide range of planning activities, including development, analysis, review, and implementation of transportation projects, plans, programs and systems.
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Perform analytical and technical duties related to development and implementation of a variety of transportation programs including bicycle, pedestrian, transit and transportation systems management.
- Assist with planning and developing the City's capital improvement program.
- Respond to requests for information from the general public, City staff, elected officials, developers, and other interested parties; research requested information and make recommendations appropriate to resolving inquiries and/or complaints.
- Monitor and coordinate on-going operations of an assigned program area; perform related analytical work and maintain documentation and supporting records and statistics.
- Assist in site plan review, focusing on adherence to transportation related standards and regulations, and make comments and recommendations to support findings.
- Develop project-based renderings of concept level designs and layouts, including 3D renderings and visualizations.
- Participate in, coordinate, and host public and stakeholder public meetings.
- Prepare, edit, format and produce technical reports and displays.
- Provide expertise in transportation planning and successfully coordinate across divisions, departments, and agency organizations to advance projects, programs and systems.
- Utilize full suite of drafting and graphic software to achieve and maintain consistent graphic standards in diagrams, maps, plans and documents.
- Prepare or assist in preparing public realm frameworks to aid in planning activities.
- Responsible for completion of other efforts/projects as assigned.
MINIMUM EDUCATION: Bachelor's Degree in City, Regional, or Community Planning, Urban Design, Landscape Architecture, Traffic Planning or Engineering, or a closely related field, or equivalent
MINIMUM EXPERIENCE: Two years of related experience which have included Transportation Planning, Urban Planning and Design, Land Use Planning, Capital Planning and Programming or Street Design.
EQUIVALENCY: An equivalent combination of related education/experience may be considered.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Master's Degree in Planning, Engineering, Urban Design, related field, or equivalent preferred.
- Broad base knowledge of technology, computer usage, hardware and software applications.
- Experience with principles and practices of urban transportation planning for all modes of travel.
- Ability to utilize GIS for the preparation of maps, graphics, and detailed geospatial analytics.
- Knowledge of and interest in urban design, including experience with Adobe (Photoshop, InDesign, and Illustrator), SketchUp, AutoCAD, or equivalent software.
- Ability to communicate clearly and concisely to make and support recommendations.
- Experience with and ability to analyze, interpret, and evaluate complex issues with critical, strategic, and creative thinking.
- Work collaboratively on multiple projects and adapt as priorities change to meet deadlines.
- Ability to interpret and apply planning guidelines and ordinances.
- Knowledge of city planning and understanding of government processes.
- Understanding of street design, particularly NACTO, local, state, and federal design principles.