The Kenosha Water Utility (KWU) is accepting online applications to hire college level Student Interns majoring in Geographic Information Systems (GIS) or a related field. Applications will be reviewed upon receipt, and this recruitment will close when all vacancies are filled. Previous interns must re-apply online to be considered, with no guarantee of being re-hired.
Under the direction of the Director of IT/GIS or his designee, this position will perform a variety of tasks, including the collection and analysis of GIS data throughout Kenosha and the preparation of maps, reports, charts and databases which support KWU operations. The incumbent may also perform other related duties within the Engineering Division. This position is tentatively scheduled to work full-time on 1st shift Monday-Friday during the summer months, although part-time hours may be considered while attending college. In the event of adverse environmental conditions such as inclement weather, the work schedule may be reduced or modified. Wage rate will be based on student status and experience in this type of work.
The term of this employment may extended beyond the summer; however it may be terminated at any time depending on the needs of KWU. This internship will not lead to an offer of permanent full-time employment and is limited to 1,500 hours or less within the designated 12-month period.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Collects information from field sites, including the utilization of global system positioning system (GPS) surveying/mapping.
- Inputs information into database.
- Conducts analysis of GIS data.
- Operates GIS and standard office software, hardware and associated peripheral devices including CAD, GPS, plotters, scanners, etc.
- Assists with the preparation of maps, reports, charts, plans, specifications, and other documents by computer entry and retrieval.
- May need to respond to on-site inquiries from citizens regarding work being performed out in the field.
- Reads and interprets maps and diagrams of municipal water and sewer facilities.
- Duplicates, assembles and collates materials.
- Operates light truck or other Class D vehicle to conduct field research or other tasks.
Education & Experience:
- Currently enrolled as a student in good standing at an accredited college or university in pursuit of a 4-year degree with a major in Geographic Information Systems (GIS), Geography, Cartography, or other related field; preferably at the junior or senior level (or recent graduate).
- Valid driver license with good driving record.
- If offered employment, must pass a driving record review, criminal background check and pre-employment drug screen.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Knowledge of the current principles, methods and technologies related to Geographic Information Systems (GIS).
- Knowledge of Microsoft Windows operating system and ability to use standard office software (e.g., word processing, spreadsheet, etc.) .
- Skill in using GIS software and operating a computer aided drafting (CAD) system and global positioning system (GPS).
- Skill in operating a variety of office equipment including plotter, copiers, scanners, computer and peripheral equipment, and printers.
- Ability to read and interpret maps, charts and plans.
- Ability to research and compile a variety of information.
- Ability to work effectively and efficiently independently and as part of a team.
- Ability to learn quick and focus on assignments.
- Ability to understand and carry out verbal and written instructions, with attention to detail and organization.
- Ability to handle reasonably necessary stress associated with this type of work.
Apply online at the link included