Madison Metropolitan Sewerage District
The district has an opening for a temporary intern in the Planning and Engineering departments. The ideal candidate will have some familiarity with GIS data and applications and will be interested in expanding their skills in a wastewater utility context. Work will support tracking connections to the collection system, collection system planning, modernization of the GIS program, asset mapping and engineering records management. The position will report to the capital planning engineer and work with other district staff as needed. Hours are flexible and are expected to vary throughout the year depending on availability for the intern. The hours will range from 10-20 hours/week during the school year and up to 40 hours/week during the summer. Ideal candidates are detail-oriented, thorough and analytical, and can work well both as part of a team and independently.
- Update sewer billing formulas using aerial photography and/or spatial queries using GIS.
- Assist GIS program staff with data quality and applications development.
- Assist engineering technician with review and processing of sewer extension applications.
- Assist capital planning engineer in comparing flow data between different flow measuring devices and assessing accuracy of data.
- Assist project engineer in conducting studies relating to high flows or other unusual events in District’s collection system.
- Assist project engineers with project design and construction inspection, as needed.
- Assist project engineer in maintaining electronic records for district’s sewer condition assessment program.
- One (1) or more years of post-high school studies in engineering, environmental science, geography or a similar technical field from an accredited college or university.
- Excellent data management and analysis skills including proficiency (2+years) in using MS Excel spreadsheets and functions; pulling data from various data sources; as well as general data sorting, merging, manipulating, quality control activities.
- Familiarity with GIS data and analysis.
- Electronic file manipulation, storage, organization and management.
- Helpful but not required: familiarity with standard engineering nomenclature, principles, and techniques.
Applicants should apply online on the District’s website, www.madsewer.org/careers by April 1st.