River Falls Department of Community Development
This is an EXPIRED job listing. Do not apply for this position!
The Planner’s primary function is to provide current planning, technical and occasional long-range planning support to the Department. Duties include customer service for day to day current planning needs, GIS support, developing planning initiatives, guiding committees, and providing support to department objectives. The Planner will provide excellent customer service and will demonstrate outstanding communication and organizational skills. Leading and representing the department at meetings, being a department liaison to the community, and continual learning and improvement are all necessary and important position functions. The expanse of this position will be determined by the persons experience and department needs.
- Provides innovative Geographic Information Systems solutions to all aspects of community development; coordinate data and GIS department support.
- Provides current planning services, codification, enforcement, and development review.
- Provides staff support to committees including work plan development, agenda’s and minutes, noticing meetings, researching and report writing, legislative analysis and special projects.
- Keep abreast of City codes and provide information to staff and public.
- Assist with short and long-range planning projects.
- Seeks, prepares and implements grants and/or funding sources for community growth.
- Assist with housing, redevelopment and neighborhood preservation programs and initiatives.
- Demonstrate excellent problem solving, public presentation, communication and organizational skills.
- Performs statistical and historical data research to support department objectives.
- Prepares memoranda, reports and other documents for a range of audiences and present recommendations to policy making bodies.
- Keeps immediate supervisor and designated others fully and accurately informed of work progress, including potential issues and suggestions for new or improved methods.
- Represents the department and serves as liaison to a variety of departments, commissions, committees and agencies; provides presentations to the same.
- Attends meetings, conferences, workshops and training sessions and reviews publications and audiovisual materials to become and remain current on the principals, practices and new developments in Community Development.
- Performs other related duties consistent with the role and function of the classification.
- Performs work in a confidential nature.
Skills & Abilities:
- Skilled in Geographic Information Systems, specifically ESRI ArcGIS products and Adobe Illustrator/MA Publisher.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office products; Office 365, OneDrive, etc.
- Must have attention to detail and follow through; excellent organizational skills.
- Must have admirable communication skills both orally and in writing, using both technical and non-technical language.
- Prepare and present accurate and reliable reports, containing findings and recommendations.
- Must perform a wide variety of duties and responsibilities with accuracy and speed under the pressure of time sensitive deadlines.
- Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university in community and Regional Planning or related field
- Valid driver’s license
- Two years’ experience in a City Planning Department environment
Apply online at link included