GeoData@Wisconsin is the primary data portal through which users can find and then download Wisconsin digital elevation data derived from LiDAR and other sources. This includes data from counties, FEMA, the USGS 3D Elevation Program (3DEP) and more. Because Wisconsin does not have a centralized LiDAR data acquisition program, products, data formats, and coordinate systems will vary considerably between counties. The interactive map below summarizes the availability of free LiDAR datasets stored in the WisconsinView raster data archive, or from other local government sources. Click anywhere on the map to learn more about data available at that location.
Other Topographic Datasets
- WDNR Elevation REST Services – elevation and shaded relief REST services derived from a variety of sources
- USGS 3DEP downloadable elevation data from the National Map (See “Elevation Products” checkbox)
Great Lakes Bathymetry and Topobathy
A few bathymetric datasets exist for the Great Lakes, from NOAA. These were collected many decades ago after World War II using acoustic sonar technology. Topobathy, a combination of topography and nearshore bathymetry, is collected with a special green laser LiDAR that penetrates clear water to a few meters depth along with a regular LiDAR sensor for the shoreland surface. They are combined into a continuous shore and nearshore DEM. The US Army Corps of Engineers has a repeating program to collect topobathy along the Great Lakes coasts.
- NOAA Digital Coast – Home page for coastal data sets including topographic LiDAR and topobathy.
- NOAA Center for Environmental Information – Great Lakes Bathymetry
- NOAA Great Lakes Environmental Laboratory – Great Lakes Bathymetry
- USGS Upper Midwest Environmental Sciences Center, Bathymetry and Elevation of the Upper Mississippi River
If you are having trouble locating elevation data in Wisconsin or need further help, please contact us via e-Mail or at (608) 262-3065.