This is an EXPIRED job listing. Do not apply for this position!
Job Summary & Duties:
As a Travel Modeler/Data Scientist:
You have an extensive variety of interesting work across the U.S., helping produce data products and forecasting tools to support government transportation agencies as they navigate the rapidly evolving world of smart mobility. You work with a variety of different types of datasets including smartphone travel surveys, massive passively-collected location data, commercial marketing data, public demographic data, and geospatial data. Your work encompasses everything from data processing, cleaning and validation, to data reconciliation and expansion, to classical statistical analysis and model estimation, and application of contemporary machine learning algorithms. You also implement, debug, calibrate, and apply both traditional trip-based and advanced activity-based travel models as well as next generation data driven techniques, founded on your data analysis.
You are a self-motivated team player who has practical skills in data processing and analysis, scripting, statistics, conducting travel model implementation and application, and preparing written documentation. You have a solid foundation in the theoretical concepts of travel forecasting, network modeling, statistics, and data analysis. You work well with clients and possess good interpersonal skills to represent the company, including being amiable; being able to communicate complex, technical materials in concise and meaningful ways that non-technical people would understand; participating in meetings; and providing training. You are a resourceful, clear and creative thinker, dedicated to high quality work. You have the desire to develop ‘best in class’ data products and forecasting tools; the ability to manage a project on time, on budget and to client satisfaction; and good technical judgment.
- Master’s degree or equivalent experience in a technical field, such as data science, engineering, computer science, or mathematics
- 3+ years of experience and demonstrated skill in data science, or similar field using advanced analytic methods and tools
- Solid understanding of and proficiency with Python, R and/or SQL
- Efficient manager of workflows and processes with the proven ability to manage multiple competing projects, priorities, and deadlines
- Proficient in statistical analysis, data management, and presentation
- Ability to write clearly and succinctly in a variety of formats (e.g. email, technical documentation, instructions)
- Effective in a variety of communication settings: one-to-one and in groups; with peers, supervisors, staff and clients; in-person and long distance.
- Experience developing travel forecasts and developing and validating travel demand models in one or more transportation modeling package (TransCAD, Cube, EMME, and/or VISUM)
- Solid understanding of and proficiency with GIS (e.g., ArcGIS, QGIS, etc.)
- Facility with statistical multiple analysis/database software/packages (e.g., SQL, SPSS, scikit-learn, R, SAS)
- Demonstrated ability to manage projects successfully
- Demonstrated ability to develop business opportunities
Apply online at link included