City of Muskego
This is an EXPIRED job listing. Do not apply for this position!
The purpose of this position is to provide daily operation and maintenance for the city’s geographic information system. The City of Muskego is a progressive and innovative organization. New ideas and use of technology are strongly encouraged. The City’s current GIS system provides information to citizens, staff, and elected officials via a web based program. Primary duties include land information management, GIS mapping, programming knowledge, and assistance with tasks assigned to the Department. The work is performed under the direction of the Information Technology Director in a full-time role with direct interaction with the City’s PublicWorks and Community Development Director as required.
The following duties are normal for this position. These are not to be construed as exclusive or all-inclusive. Other duties may be required and assigned.
- Ensures the central GIS-related software, hardware, and related data are administered with attention to security and system availability, data accuracy, and ease of use; provides user-friendly and high quality geographic information to staff and the public as requested.
- Coordinates GIS activities and communications between city departments and external partners.
- Maintains and develops city GIS layers, datasets, and workflows.
- Prepares GIS based maps in response to internal and external requests maps.
- Undertakes special projects which require the use and analysis of GIS data.
- Develops integrated GIS solutions to improve efficiencies within and between city departments.
- Provides support to the County’s GIS and Planning Department and other municipalities to ensure approved and future centerline data is added in a timely manner.
- Assists in providing support and training for geographic information system users.
- Performs field work to verify addressing issues, including the ability to pilot and obtain licensing for UAV (Unmanned Ariel Vehicle) for surveying and other various city uses/activities.
- Provides various Community Development Department related tasks and special projects as required by the Public Works and Community Development Director. Such tasks and projects may relate to planning and economic development needs.
- Provides city website update, design and support as needed as it may relate to GIS functions.
- Maintains our Web Based GIS self- serving portal. Must understand web programming.
- Performs field inspections to verify land information and form accurate representations of physical and man-made environments.
- Attends and participates in public meetings as needed.
Additional Tasks and Responsibilities
While the following tasks are necessary for the work of the unit, they are not an essential part of the purpose of this position and may also be performed by other unit members.
- Perform digitizing and data input tasks required for map and database development.
- Participates in on-going training.
Minimum Training and Experience Required to Perform Essential Job Functions
Bachelor’s degree in Urban Planning, Geography or related field, five or more years of urban or regional planning and GIS experience, or any combination of education and experience that provides equivalent knowledge, skills, and abilities. Skills in SQL, TSQL and familiarity with CADD. Must have some presentation skills. Valid Wisconsin motor vehicle operator’s license required. CAD and GIS experience required in Autodesk and ESRI platforms. Modern computer programming knowledge is desired. (i.e. Python Script using ARCPY, or the like) Proficiency in Microsoft Office programs (Word, Excel, Outlook)