Field Museum seeks an experienced GIS Specialist to fill a recent vacancy in the Keller Science Action Center. The Action Center is an interdisciplinary team made up of ecologists, geographers, anthropologists, and outdoor educators that has worked for over two decades towards environmental conservation and improving the quality of life in the Chicago region. The GIS Specialist position requires an excellent understanding and demonstrated skill in using GIS tools, a good sense of map composition, great listening and communication skills, and comfort working at a fast pace. The successful candidate will be an excellent team player and have a strong commitment to environmental conservation, with a biological or social science background.
The role of the GIS Specialist includes working closely with the GIS Manager to provide the bulk of data processing and analysis support for major project initiatives.
Additional responsibilities include:
- General cartographic, mapping, and GIS support for the Chicago Region Program
- Developing presentation materials, and helping present to, and train, partners about our geospatial-related work and products
- Assisting partner organizations with expert advice and GIS support as needed
- Helping advance the use of GIS across the museum
- Further developing one’s own understanding of GIS methods and tools to achieve the goals of the Action Center.
- We invite applications from candidates that have a Bachelor’s degree or higher in ecology, environmental science, geography, anthropology, sociology, or a related field with strong skills and experience in GIS.
- High-level skill sets may compensate for less experience.
- Candidates selected for a phone screening will be required to show examples of their own work and may be selected to give an in-person presentation and interviews.
Software Proficiency & Knowledge:
- ESRI ArcGIS Desktop (or ArcGIS Pro) including Spatial Analyst tools—required
- ArcGIS Online (mobile data collection, web app building)—desired
- Adobe Illustrator—desired
- Species Distribution Modeling (e.g. MaxEnt)—desired
- Connectivity modeling (e.g Linkage Mapper, FUNCON, least cost distance)—desired
- Enterprise database experience (e.g. MS SQL server)—a bonus
- Statistics and data analysis (e.g. “R”)—a bonus
- Trimble eCognition—a bonus
Apply online at link included