Chicago Department of Aviation
This is an EXPIRED job listing. Do not apply for this position!
Under direction, manages the development and maintenance of the Chicago Department of Aviation Geographic Information System (GIS), and performs related duties as required. The position assists in the planning and design of all airport capital improvement projects and leverages mapping industry and aviation industry best practices.
The position involves planning and development to support the O’Hare 21 and capital improvement projects. The role will assist the planning team with the development of airport master plans, terminal planning, airport layout plans, implementation plans and project definition documents. The position will also assist in research and development for planning studies and reports for the Chicago Department of Aviation. The project size ranges from considerable scope and complexity to small scale renovation work and from airfield runway projects to large scale facility projects.
- Accesses the Chicago Department of Aviation GIS data repository to obtain base map data and data layers
- Gathers and updates field data using Global Positioning System (GPS) and other surveying instruments
- Assists in the creation of new data layers for inclusion in the department’s database
- Prepares maps and reports with appropriate data layers illustrating requested data in geographic format to meet users’ needs (e.g., use in Web applications)
- Reviews data sets provided by department staff for use in creating GIS maps
- Uses spreadsheets and GIS software to convert data sets to a GIS format
- Geocodes data files and manipulates data layers
- Assists in monitoring data files on the server and managing file storage disk space
- Assists departmental GIS users in accessing GIS data and using the software to produce maps
- Uses scripting language and processing workflow modeling to create user interfaces and to automate time consuming or complicated tasks
- Assists in the design and maintenance of GIS databases and the department’s centralized GIS repository
- And, other job related duties as required
Graduation from an accredited college or university with a Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Sciences, Information Technology/Systems, Geography, Urban Planning, or a directly related field, plus one year of experience using GIS software, or an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience.
Preference will be given to candidates possessing the following:
- Highest level of completed education
- Previous work experience in methods and techniques of geographic data base analysis
- Previous work experience designing and creating maps and other graphic materials
- Previous work experience using geographic data processing and cartographic methods and procedures
- Previous work experience using and instructing users in the operations of GIS software
- Previous work experience in the use and understanding of ARC Infor, Arc View and relational database systems of GIS technology
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office applications and operating a personal computer
Apply online at link included using job #315650