Muscatine Area Geographic Information Consortium
Muscatine Area Geographic Information Consortium (MAGIC) is seeking a GIS Technician!
The Muscatine Area Geographic Information Consortium (MAGIC) is a Code of Iowa Chapter 28E partnership between Muscatine County, the City of Muscatine, and Muscatine Power and Water (MP&W). The partnership was formed to develop, maintain, and promote the use of high-quality geospatial data products for the Muscatine community. Responsibility for geospatial data creation and maintenance is shared between MAGIC staff and staff at the partner organizations. Affiliate members include the City of Wilton, City of West Liberty, and Muscatine Community School District.
Offices for MAGIC staff are co-located at MP&W’s Administrative Office Center. The relationship between MAGIC staff members and MP&W is governed by a memorandum of understanding dated October 15, 2002.
Provide geographic information systems (GIS) services and support to the MAGIC partner organizations, private citizens, and businesses.
- Provide geospatial software support and guidance to MAGIC partner organizations.
- Design geospatial data workflows to assist in empowering all partner workforce members in the maintenance and development of asset inventory.
- Assist MAGIC partner organizations with the following:
- Routine geopatial data maintenance, updates, and dissemination.
- Field data collection, using survey-grade GPS equipment
- Provide recommendations on hardware related to geospatial workflows, GPS, mobile devices, laptops, and servers
- Participate in public presentations to promote the understanding and use of MAGIC’s geospatial products.
- Participate in MAGIC board meetings, Technical Advisory Committee (TAC) meetings, and Muscatine City Council and Muscatine County Board of Supervisor meetings as needed.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Two-year technical degree in GIS or four-year degree in geography or related field, with at least two courses in GIS.
- Minimum 3 years of experience in the GIS field.
- GIS professional certification (GISP) through the URISA GIS Certification program a plus. If not certified, must become certified within 3 years from start of employment. Certification must be maintained while holding this position.
- Thorough knowledge of GIS principles and practices, including familiarity with relational database system design, development, and administration.
- Demonstrated knowledge of and experience with:
- Esri ArcGIS 10.x software suite or ArcGIS Pro.
- Esri ArcGIS Enterprise, ArcGIS Online, Web App Builder, Collector for ArcGIS applications preferred.
- Industry-standard database management system (DBMS) software, preferably MS SQL Server.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including public speaking skills.
- Excellent interpersonal and listening skills, with ability to build productive professional relationships and promote a team atmosphere.
- Proficiency with use of Microsoft Office Word and Excel at an intermediate level.’
- Good judgment and reasoning skills.’
- Problem identification, analysis, and solving.
- Strong project management skills.
- Ability to work as part of a team, either as team leader or a member of a team.
- Ability to think strategically but also focus on tactical and operational issues.
- Ability to drive results and ensure work is accomplished properly, safely, and in a timely manner.
- Ability to work independently, effectively prioritize work, manage multiple tasks, meet deadlines, and adjust work priorities as needed to meet department/organizational objectives.