City of Minneapolis Public Works
Under immediate supervision, assist civil engineers and senior engineering technicians with various Public Works projects.
The Department of Public Works designs, builds and maintains the City of Minneapolis’ infrastructure, which includes but is not limited to: streets and bridges, public buildings, City fleet of vehicles, storm and sanitary sewer system, drinking water treatment and distribution, parking ramps and surface lots, traffic signals, signage and striping, solid waste and recycling and more.
The following divisions of the Public Works Department are currently recruiting for interns for the upcoming construction season:
Surface Water & Sewer:
- Research and organize sanitary sewer and drainage system records.
- Complete field investigations of sewer and drainage system infrastructure.
- Create and organize hydrologic/hydraulic models used for flood analysis.
- Assist engineers with other tasks as assigned.
- GIS data entry and editing, and reading and interpreting engineering drawings.
- Additional duties may include organizing documents, scanning documents, preparing or working with spreadsheets/databases, and other tasks as assigned.
Water Treatment & Distribution:
- Perform introductory engineering design tasks, report writing, data entry, processing and analysis, in-plant or field data collection, and other tasks as assigned.
Traffic & Parking Services:
- Complete an infrastructure audit and condition survey of all traffic-related electrical service cabinet assets, City-owned and maintained street lights and light poles.
- Database entry, field measuring, use of maps and the use of a specific industry software.
- Assist Signing Foreman with field data collection of all traffic signage.
- Ensure sign data, including GPS locations, is all entered into a central database using handheld devices.
- Assist Traffic Signal Engineer to expand databases on traffic signal infrastructure to program systems upgrades.
- Collect field data and use it to create long range traffic signal replacement prioritizing and budgeting.
- Assist in daily operations and programming of new multi-space meter technology and programming dynamic message signs located throughout the downtown area.
- Conduct rate and location surveys of on and off street parking operations in Minneapolis. Analyze and record that data.
- Update parking ramp layout drawings in AutoCAD and Visio.
Transportation Maintenance & Repair:
- Paving – working under the direct or indirect supervision of the Paving Engineer or engineers. Primary function of this position will assist with the contract administration, engineering evaluation or field inspection for the City construction projects and with paving programs and projects managed by Paving Construction; assist with documentation of work by private contractors; assist paving staff on monitoring day to day activities and contractors; assist paving staff with the coordination of construction work in order to complete projects on time, within appropriation limits, and with minimum disruption to the public.
- Sidewalk Inspections – work under the immediate supervision of the Sidewalk Inspectors and assist with the following tasks: slump and air testing of concrete, painting out of work to be performed by the City hired sidewalk contractor; inspection for spec conformance of private sidewalk contractors working under permit in the public right of way, data handling duties in the office environment, day to day monitoring of the City-hired Sidewalk Inspector and other activities including measurement of work completed for payment.
- Street – Seal Coat projects: field verify square yardage for future projects, assist in marking out seal coat limits, assist in calculating materials. Asphalt/Concrete Repairs: enter data and create spreadsheets from field foreman daily repair reports. Street Sweeping: enter data and create spreadsheets from daily sweeper reports. Snow and Ice: Assist in compiling data from winter operations.
- Bridge – Deck seal: field verify square feet of deck to be sealed and measure cracks that need to be sealed. Measure square feet on concrete repair and enter it into spreadsheets. Assist field foreman in daily reports to turn into MnDOT. Help track the removal and square feet of graffiti and enter it into spreadsheets.
- All college majors are encouraged to apply. Some of the positions require working towards a bachelor’s degree in Civil Engineering or Surveying, or pre-engineering students or civil technicians.
- Must be 18 years of age or older
- Be willing to work outdoors in all types of weather
- A high level of attention to detail, the ability to do repetitive work, the ability to work independently and/or on a team.
- Willingness to learn.
The following are desirable for some but not all assignments:
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Good communication skills.
- Ability to work with the Microsoft Office Suite.
- Experience using Esri’s ArcGIS, working with databases, and creating GIS data.
- Experience using XPSWMM or other hydrologic/hydraulic modeling software.
- Experience creating, reading and/or interpreting engineering plans.
- Experience with materials testing and surveying principals.
- Microsoft Access experience and knowledge.
- Working knowledge of AutoCAD and Visio software packages.
- Experience in GPS and data management technology.
- Experience with roadway construction, survey and computer skills.
- Experience interacting with the public in a customer service setting.
- Experience answering telephones in an office setting or other work setting.
Apply online at link included