City of Minneapolis Public Works
The Department of Public Works designs, builds and maintains the City of Minneapolis infrastructure, which includes but is not limited to: street and bridges, public buildings, City fleet of vehicles, storm and sanitary sewer systems, drinking water treatment and distribution, parking ramps and surface lots, traffic signals, signage and striping, solid waste and recycling and more.
The Transportation Engineering & Design division of Public Works has eight (8) Construction Field Inspection Intern positions; four (4) Construction Field Inspection LAB Intern positions; five (5) Land Survey Intern positions; and one (1) Street Engineering & Design Intern position available.
The duration of the internships are normally May to August 2019 with the possibility to extend through November.
The hours are Monday through Friday, 40 hours per week, the times may vary per position. The City is willing to accommodate school schedules.
The following are the job duties for each area of Transportation Engineering & Design Division:
Construction Field Inspection (CFI) Internship:
- Assist in the construction inspection of roadways, bike paths and bridges.
- Assist with documentation and monitoring of daily construction operations done by private contractors on City construction projects.
- Additional duties may include organizing documents, scanning documents, preparing or working with spreadsheets, and other tasks as assigned.
Construction Field Inspection LAB Internship:
- Assist in testing various construction materials and soils in the lab and in the field.
- Keep records of tests conducted.
- Prepare reports with analysis and related written documentation as required.
- Record sub-grade evacuation and plot soil profiles for construction projects.
- Perform cleaning and maintenance duties in the lab as required.
- Assist in repairing, calibrating, and maintaining equipment.
Land Survey Internship:
- Have an active role in performing field work for topographic surveys, horizontal and vertical control, construction staking, easements and boundaries.
- Operate survey equipment such as Total Station, data collector, survey levels and GPS equipment.
- Perform survey and property boundary research.
- Make precise surveying measurements.
- Perform surveying calculations.
- Maintain records related to work activities; prepare reports.
- Assist Crew Chief in completion of assigned tasks.
Street Engineering & Design Internship:
- Assist in collecting and reviewing existing project data.
- Assist in developing and evaluating concept layouts.
- Assist in preparing preliminary and detailed plans, and estimates.
- Assist in other tasks as assigned.
- Working towards a Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering or other related field, or enrolled/graduated from a technical school program.
- Must be 18 years of age or older.
- Be willing to work outdoors in all types of weather.
- A high level of attention to detail, the ability to do repetitive work, the ability to work independently and/or on a team.
- Willingness to learn.
The following are desirable for some but not all assignments:
- Basic knowledge of reading and interpreting engineering drawings.
- Experience with municipal construction.
- Experience working in a laboratory involving use of chemicals and testing equipment for construction materials testing is preferred.
- Ability to make mathematical calculations.
- Good knowledge of the use of chemicals and lab equipment.
- Ability to prepare reports on quality of materials tested.
- Good communications skills.
- Experience working with survey equipment.
- Ability to do surveying calculations with speed and accuracy.
- Basic knowledge of CAD software (Microstation).
- Experience using CAD software
- Experience using Microsoft Office Software
- Experience creating, reading and/or interpreting engineering plans.
Apply online at link included