Milwaukee County Department of Transportation
The Milwaukee County Department of Transportation is seeking two (2) GIS interns to support the GIS mapping initiative within the Highway Division.
Preferential consideration given to:
- Students enrolled in a GIS Masters/Certificate program
- Senior year students enrolled in a GIS Bachelor Degree program who are moving on to either the GIS Masters or GIS Certificate program
- Enrolled in a related field.
- Specific preference given to students enrolled in GIS programs with emphasis/major course work in information management and geographic information systems.
The following statements describe the principle functions of this job and its scope of responsibility, but should not be considered an all-inclusive listing of work requirements. Individuals may perform other duties as assigned.
Under the supervision of the MCDOT Senior GIS Analyst, incumbent will be responsible for:
- Collecting and Verifying Roadside Assets – is responsible for collecting and verifying digital geographic data along highways and freeways within Milwaukee County using mobile GPS collection techniques.
- Maintaining Data – is responsible for maintaining digital geographic data within the Milwaukee County Enterprise Geographic Information System (EGIS). Duties include source map preparation and editing; digitizing; feature coding; data conversion; post conversion editing and labeling; map and report generation; data documentation (metadata preparation); and data maintenance operations.
- Ortho Photo Interpretation – is responsible for interpreting and verifying structure location and types obtained from various GIS source databases. Applying these in combination with current Ortho photography to reconcile various feature data collections eg., CAD, planinimetric etc.
- GIS Applications – is responsible for operating GIS software to display geographic data; to design, create, and plot custom map products; to generate summary reports; and to support standard analytical functions.
- Provide assistance in support of data import and export services.
- Provide technical and logistic support in developing, implementing and maintaining GIS management standards including preparation and cataloging metadata, software application development standards, custodial agreements and work procedure standards and specifications.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
Corresponding knowledge, skill and/or ability required for the above indicated duties include:
- Proficient in the use of ESRI’s ArcGIS suite of software specifically, ArcGIS 10.x in a SQL environment, ArcGIS Online and/or Collector for ArcGIS; familiarity (is preferred but not required) with Microsoft Office applications, specifically Access and Excel; familiarity with AutoCAD and conversion processes between AutoCAD and ArcGIS.
- Thorough knowledge of the principles, practices, and techniques of information systems as related to the GIS function and database management in an ESRI platform.
- Ability to organize material, analyzes a wide variety of information, and develop database schemas to support data.
- Ability to communicate effectively and tactfully with supervisors and staff.
- Ability to take a teamwork approach to the job by cooperating with others, operate proficiently without direct supervision, follow supervisors instructions, and consider larger organization or team goals rather than individual concerns.
- Ability to operate a motor vehicle for extended periods of time, and safely operate along highways and freeways within Milwaukee County. Applicant MUST hold a valid driver’s license.
While performing the duties of this job the employee may occasionally be required to climb or balance, stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl, and should be able to lift up to 50 pounds. Extended periods of outdoor work and/or repeatedly entering/exiting vehicles may be required in varying weather conditions.