City of Chanhassen
Primarily responsible for development, organization, management, and administration of a well-planned and accurately integrated Geographic Information System (GIS). This includes collaboration with internal and external partners on operation, systems mapping, and asset management integration to meet the goals and objectives of the city. The position is responsible for performing application modifications and development, utilizing GIS applications which produce reports in tabular and/or map form, incorporating menus, macros, and definitions for linking relational databases to geographic databases. Also transfers and updates files for various departmental GIS systems as required.
- Lead the development and implementation of a long-term work plan to maintain a functional data management culture within the city. These efforts will assist in the prioritization of capital and operational programs primarily in the areas of engineering, public works, natural resources, and park management.
- Analyze and assist in the development, creation, versioning, reconciling and maintenance of geographic and attribute databases. Manages and manipulates data for use in GIS applications, and coordinates the exchange of GIS data with other city departments and outside agencies.
- Perform ongoing data entry and implements QA/QC process of GIS information to ensure all system information is current and accurate.
- Work with city personnel to gather and evaluate source material and administer data collection systems, methodology, and quality control work processes. Organize and maintain an internal GIS user group.
- Create and run database reports, maps, and queries for reports and benchmarking.
- Create and prepare maps, applications, documents, and reports for City Council, Commissions and neighborhood meetings.
- Produce citywide maps and atlases for both internal and external use. Ensure official zoning, land-use, utility, as-builts, and other infrastructure maps are maintained.
- Staff lead for Cartegraph OMS system which includes software upgrades and hardware needs.
- Able to obtain and mange field crew collection of GPS data in the field using Trimble or Cartegraph equipment.
- Coordinate and conduct staff training for GIS and Cartegraph.
- Remain current with applicable technology advances and upgrades.
- Provide courteous, accurate and timely information to citizens on complaints and inquiries pertaining to Engineering and Public Works activities. Coordinate with administrative staff for office coverage.
- Performs other duties and assumes responsibilities as apparent or as assigned.
- Bachelors degree in GIS, Geography, Planning, Engineering, or closely related field.
- A minimum of 2-3 years’ experience in GIS, with experience in local government or public works preferred. Additional applicable educational experience may substitute.
- Valid driver’s license.
- Strong working knowledge with Esri GIS applications including:
- ArcGIS Desktop
- ArcGIS Collector
- Web App Builder
- ArcGIS Server
- ArcSDE Geodatabase
- ArcGIS Online
- Knowledge in the following areas:
- Public works infrastructure
- Python scripting language
- Cartegraph OMS
- Cartegraph’s Scenario Builder
- Ability to work independently, manage multiple tasks and adjust priorities as necessary with minimal supervision.
- Skills to listen, communicate, establish and maintain effective working relationships with technical and non-technology staff
- Ability to think critically about technical problems and work diligently to resolve them in a timely manner.
- Ability to read, understand and interpret engineering plans.
- Knowledge of software, hardware and computer operating systems (Microsoft Windows, Microsoft Office, Relational Databases/SQL).