City of Madison Engineering Division
This is an EXPIRED job listing. Do not apply for this position!
This is responsible supervisory and/or specialized professional work within the Engineering division. This position will be responsible for planning, scheduling and performing surveys and special projects which require registration as a Land Surveyor, (i.e., functions relating to the legal establishment or re-establishment of survey monuments, the preparation of survey maps required by administrative code or statute and the performance of other specialized projects and activities necessitating registration). The work is characterized by the exercise of independent judgment, initiative, discretion, and program development and administration under the direction of a Principal Engineer or other manager. The work is characterized by the exercise of independent judgment, initiative, discretion, and program development and administration under the direction of a Principal Civil Engineer or a Division Manager.
Examples of Duties and Responsibilities
- Supervise survey crews and assigned permanent and seasonal employees. Provide training and direction; evaluate work and provide input to management relative to hiring, firing, discipline, and handling of employee grievances.
- Perform preliminary surveys to include topographical data, profiles, cross sections and boundary control to determine right-of way, utilities and boundary design
- Coordinate with the Transportation Section Principal Engineer 2 to develop an annual project schedule and establish priorities. Adjust schedules to respond changing needs.
- Operate and maintain a robotic total station, survey grade GPS and manual survey instruments.
- Establish vertical and horizontal control using conventional and/or GPS methods.
- Locate land boundaries, land boundary corners and easements by including the research of public and private lands. Determine existing ROW lines and property lines specific to preliminary survey.
- Relocate lost and obliterated PLSS corners. Establish or re-establish survey monuments.
- Collect topographic data using description keys and line coding to create objects and figures within the CADD environment for topographic mapping.
- Prepare descriptions, sketches, and files relating to survey and land record processing.
- Create maps and surface files.
- Work with utility companies by submitting planning ticket requests to Diggers Hotline, sending survey drawings, verify with the utility company that their facilities are displayed on maps correctly and make any required modifications.
- Create 3 Dimensional surfaces for use in designing engineering construction.
- Maintain inventories of surveying equipment and materials and recommend purchase of equipment and materials.
- Provide back up to other surveyors.
- Perform other related duties as required.
- Four (4) years of progressively responsible experience in the area of land surveying, including at least two years as “chief-of-party” of a recognized survey crew and/or two years of responsibility for land records. Such experience would normally be gained after graduation from an Associate Degree program in drafting, civil technology, surveying or a related field.
- Additional directly related education may be substituted for experience on a year-for-year basis.
If an applicant does not possess the specific requirements outlined above, HR will review the application materials to determine if the applicant possesses the following equivalent experience:
At least four (4) years experience in applying the following:
- Knowledge of surveying principles, techniques and legal requirements.
- Computer software applicable to the duties of the position, including CADD.
- The use, adjustment and care of manual and computerized survey instruments.
- Route surveying principles.
- All facets of Public Works construction projects.
- Principles and practices of engineering drawing and drafting, including computer-aided drafting.
- Statutes, computer software, and related recordkeeping practices and procedures associated with land and surveying records and database system.