City of Apple Valley
This is an EXPIRED job listing. Do not apply for this position!
Responsible for supporting the daily GIS and clerical support needs of the Public Works Department. Includes design, layout, and generation of customized maps, charts, reports, and graphics; data entry and maintenance of GIS related databases; and assisting with City GIS needs as necessary and directed. Types correspondence, memos, and reports; assists with general office function to provide information and assistance to the public.
- Performs Geographic Information System (GIS) development tasks including digitizing, drafting and related activities in the operation of a GIS as it pertains to Public Works, as well as other departments as directed. Creates and updates maps and databases; checks work for completeness and accuracy; tabulates and documents work.
- Organizes and extracts data from GIS related databases and performs complex geographic analysis. Stores, retrieves, and exchanges information between databases and organizations.
- Runs appropriate computer program to effectively perform mapping, charting, and graphing tasks.
- Verify GIS data, GPS correction of features, collecting new GPS data, testing mobile applications and such activities to support Public Works operations.
- Provides ongoing support and training to Public Works staff in use of GIS software and related applications.
- Manages data collection and administration of asset management software.
- Assists in asset management software implementation, development, and maintenance throughout Public Works.
- Communicates effectively with involved parties when working on projects, develops and maintains positive, effective work relationships with City staff and citizens.
- Provides general clerical and administrative support services for the Public Works Department and uses standard office equipment and computer software to complete assigned tasks.
- Accurately generates correspondence, reports, memos, and spreadsheets. Edits, proofreads, assembles, collates, and distributes materials.
- Answers telephone and responds to inquiries, disseminates information, transfers to appropriate staff as necessary. Records and delivers messages promptly.
- Performs other duties consistent with the responsibilities of the position as apparent or assigned by the City.
- Associate degree in Geography, Geographic Information Systems (GIS), Computer Science, or closely related field.
- Demonstrated ability to operate Geographic Information Systems.
- Proficiency with ESRI ArcGIS and Microsoft Office software.
- Six months of office support/clerical experience.
- Demonstrated organization skills, attention to detail and ability to perform assignments under minimal direction.
- Demonstrated innovation in carrying out job duties, completing tasks/projects, and updating skills.
- Ability to communicate with the public, staff, and elected officials in a courteous, positive and professional manner.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with colleagues, supervisors, and other agencies.
- Bachelor’s degree in Geography, GIS, Computer Science, or closely related field.
- Additional years of relevant work experience.
- Experience in municipal government.
Apply online at link included