This is an EXPIRED job listing. Do not apply for this position!
Location: Evanston, IL
Type: Full Time
Deadline to Apply: Open - no deadline given by employer
More Information: Northwestern University Job Posting
Geospatial software support
- Collaborate with the GIS/Data Analyst and GIS Specialist to provide direct user assistance with Esri ArcGIS suite of software including; ArcPro, Desktop and ArcGIS Online and related data and mapping tools including QGIS, Carto, demographic data, Social Explorer, data products, and emerging mapping technologies.
- Provide training related to GIS capabilities and functions by creating workshop lesson plans designed to familiarize staff, student and faculty users with GIS applications.
- Schedule, organize, promote, and manage an annual Geography Week event.
- Maintain and update information on Library webpage and on libguides related to GIS services.
Collection Management for the Map & Atlas Collections
- Maintain a system to identify, prioritize and provide maps sent to cataloging for the purpose of entering items into ALMA for public access via PRIMO/NUSearch.
- Maintain a system to identify, prioritize and provide ten (10) cataloged maps per month to be scanned by Repository & Digital Collections for ingestion into the Digital Collections site.
- Ongoing map collection management includes organization and integration of unprocessed maps.
i. Inventory maps and/or create index maps.
ii. Flatten and label maps with ownership/depository stamps.
iii. Classify and assign LC call numbers to maps by utilizing Library of Congress classification numbering.
- Sort and re-organize maps and map folders that have been accessed before refiling.
- Maintain statistics of map receipts and maps processed and added to the collection. Determine if a map is a duplicate and remove one copy from the collection and either: (a) offer item(s) per FDLP requirements or (b) make available to the Free Maps Notification list members.
- Maintain Free Map email notification list.
- Verify receipt of items by checking against order and shipping lists (receipts of paper maps from the FDLP has nearly ceased)
- Supervise student Map Collection Assistant
- Specialization focusing on reference support for maps, cartographic items, and GIS services.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Successful completion of a full 4-year course of study in an accredited college or university leading to a bachelor’s or higher degree; OR appropriate combination of education and experience.
- 5 years’ library experience or other relevant experience required.
- Ability to perform geospatial analysis
- Communication: Communicates effectively one-on-one, in small groups, and in public speaking contexts; writes precise, well-organized emails, letters and proposals while using appropriate vocabulary and grammar.
- Computer proficiency: Successfully uses multiple software programs independently. Software may include Microsoft Office applications such as Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access, and email (Outlook). Experience with GIS software.
- Customer Focus: Regularly monitors customer satisfaction; provides suggestions to improve quality and value to the customer
- Multi-Tasking: Demonstrates ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously.
- Adaptability: Works effectively in an environment in which the parameters may change daily; adjusts behavior to meet the needs of different people and situations.
- Collegiality: Being helpful, respectful, approachable, and tem oriented; builds strong relationships and a positive work environment.
- Problem solving: Formulates realistic plans and contingencies and establishes appropriate measurements of anticipated results.
- Collaboration: Facilitates open and effective communication, cooperation and teamwork within and outside of one’s own team; respects the needs and contributions of others.
- Efficiency/Dependability: Effectively performs duties and responsibilities; displays attention to detail; supports organizational policies; anticipates demands/pressures of assignments and adjusts accordingly.
- Initiative: Exhibits energy and desire to achieve; sets ambitious goals and acts decisively; takes action that no one has requested to improve or enhance job results and avoid problems.
- Judgment: Demonstrates logic, rationality and objectivity; shows common sense; uses all available information to make educated decisions.
- Conflict Management: Exhibits understanding of natural sources of conflict and acts to prevent or soften them.
- Coaching/Mentoring: Trains people for current assignment and develops them for promotion; uses feedback and personal example to encourage higher performance.
- Organization: Plans, organizes and schedules in an efficient, productive manner; anticipates contingencies and pays attention to detail; targets projects or initiatives that require special attention and focuses on key tasks when faced with limited time and/or resources.
- Quality/Compliance: Striving for excellence with our work processes and outcomes, honoring University policies and regulatory requirements.
- Research Information: Identifies, collects, and organizes data for analysis and decision-making.
- Bachelor’s degree in Geography or advanced degree/training in GIS software
- Experience working in an academic library
- Geospatial analysis skills
- Knowledge of faculty research practices
Apply online at link included