Sargent & Lundy
This is an EXPIRED job listing. Do not apply for this position!
Sargent & Lundy provides comprehensive consulting, engineering, design, and analysis for electric power generation and power delivery projects worldwide. With a highly experienced staff solely dedicated to the energy business, we have the ability and know-how to take on the smallest tasks as well as the largest projects.
Due to continued growth, our Electric Grid Infrastructure Services Group is seeking a GIS Technician to join their team in Chicago, IL.
- Assist in the development of geographic information to produce maps or quantify information about the impacts of features related to linear engineering projects
- Create or edit map labels, annotation, symbology, representations, and legends
- Conduct data research and compile spatial data
- Manage online GIS data and help develop strategies for collecting GIS data in the field.
- Evaluate information and data from outside sources and convert data to be used in conjunction with preparing maps
- Incorporate spatial and non-spatial data from a broad range of sources (e.g. Access databases, Excel spreadsheets, or AutoCAD/Microstation drawings)
- Use extensions such as 3D Analyst and Spatial Analyst to perform complex geoprocessing tasks
- Provide quality assurance for geospatial data and maps
- Assist in preparing exhibits and compiling information for proposals, project status reports and schedules
- Maintain intra-office communications to share data, procedures, efficiencies, and problem-solving
- Create, edit, and inventory GIS metadata
- BA/BS in Environmental Engineering/Science, Geography, GIS, Geology, Landscape Architecture, computer science or other relevant field
- Basic knowledge of ESRI ArcGIS Pro
- Solid understanding of cartographic principles
- Well-developed analytical and problem-solving abilities
- Strong attention to detail; ability to perform duties with a high level of accuracy
- Strong personal computing skills
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision and in a collaborative team environment
- Ability to communicate and interact effectively with internal clients, group members, management and external clients
- Basic understanding of power delivery engineering processes such as transmission line siting
- Prior experience working in a production environment, meeting established production and accuracy goals, with the ability to maintain focus on quality of details.
- The ability to read engineering plans
- Knowledge of programming languages such as Python or C++
- Proficiency in AutoCAD, Microstation or Globalmapper
- Ability to create 3D renderings
Apply online at link included