City of Waukesha
This is an EXPIRED job listing. Do not apply for this position!
This position is responsible for a variety of technical and skilled tasks involved in the operation and maintenance of the City of Waukesha’s Geographical Information System (GIS). Work includes assisting in updating the city-wide parcel map, assigning addresses, updating enterprise GIS data, performing research, input and collection of related data as needed by various City departments, producing maps and analyses, and assisting and training end users with the use of the City’s GIS systems, under the supervision of the GIS Coordinator.
- Assists in the maintenance of a City-wide Geographic Information System.
- Maintains City parcel map by digitizing surveys using COGO (Coordinate Geometry), advanced editing tools, ESRI’s Parcel Fabric, and other associated layers as needed by City departments, under the supervision of the GIS Coordinator.
- Plans, reviews, assigns, and maintains addresses per original surveys, site plans, and requests within City Addressing specifications; distributes addresses to other systems and agencies as needed, as directed by the GIS Coordinator.
- Assists in maintenance of City GIS layers: primarily cadastral, administrative, and other base maps, datasets, and specialty maps using ESRI’s mapping software, or other software provided by the City.
- Responds to proposed developments being reviewed by the City for survey closure, addresses, and parcel contiguity, under the supervision of the GIS Coordinator.
- Assists with the maintenance of GIS websites, applications, and data targeted for the general public and City staff using ArcGIS Server, Geocortex Essentials, Portal, ArcGIS Online, ESRI WebApp Builder, or other software.
- Prepares and performs complex spatial analysis and cartographic projects; prepares reports and provides technical assistance and documentation for inclusion in special study documents, as directed by the GIS Coordinator.
- Prepares maps, interactive applications, and graphic displays for projects, publication, printing, meetings, memorandums, reports, and end-user editing as needed for City departments.
- Assists in the maintenance, design, and creation of databases; collects and inputs data; produces and analyzes output.
- Works with appropriate City staff members to respond to City-wide GIS needs, under the direction of the GIS Coordinator.
- Responds to public inquiries and provides information related to City GIS database records and responds to requests for transmittal of digital mapping files, as directed by the GIS Coordinator.
- Assists in installation and updates to GIS software on end-user computers.
- Assists in executing training of end-users in the use of GIS software applications.
- Assists in the documenting GIS processes, applications and procedures, as necessary.
- Assists in updating the City website with new versions of published maps, data, and applications.
- Assists in maintenance of GIS Metadata.
Graduation from an accredited college or university with a Bachelor’s Degree in GIS, Geography, Engineering, Planning, Computer Science, or a closely related field, preferably with 1 – 2 years of experience in municipal GIS, database usage, and computer programming and systems operations, GIS certification; or any equivalent combination of training and experience which provides the following knowledge, ability and skills:
- The theory, operation, application and capabilities of automation systems, equipment and software.
- Database management and computer network operations.
- Map compilation and quality control.
- The use of standard office equipment, computers and relevant software applications including: ESRI ArcGIS Desktop, ArcGIS Pro, ArcGIS Online, ArcGIS Server, Spatial Analyst, 3D Analyst, Network Analyst, and preferably: Parcel Fabric, AutoCAD, VUEWorks, Microsoft SQL Server, Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint, HTML, HTML5, Python, XML.
- Read, write, and interpret legal documents and property surveys.
- Develop, coordinate, plan, and prioritize projects and programs.
- Communicate clearly and effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Research, collect and analyze data.
- Be organized and detail oriented.
- Work and make decisions independently, while at the same time, ability to cooperatively work as part of a team.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with elected officials, members of various groups, organizations and associations, other GIS professionals, consultants, vendors, supervisors, coworkers and the general public.
- Analyze problems and apply sound judgment in developing solutions.
- Set priorities and meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment with frequent interruptions.
- Train end users on the uses of various geographic information systems.
- Public speaking.
- Oral and written communications.
- Organization and time management.
Apply online at link included