City of Naperville
This is an EXPIRED job listing. Do not apply for this position!
The GIS Specialist is part of a technical team in the Public Works Department assisting in the support of the City’s technology, including the Geographic Information System (GIS). The Specialists collaborate with employees to connect technology advancements to their daily tasks for improved efficiency, communication, and data-driven decision making. These Specialists provide technical expertise in GIS application development, user training and support, data development, and map output and production.
Some of the responsibilities of the GIS Specialist include:
- Provide technical expertise and support for department-specific hardware and software
- Provide technical expertise for GIS system hardware and software,
- Assist in troubleshooting activities regarding GIS system operations and procedures,
- Provide user training and support on GIS software,
- Work with other City departments to define their specific GIS needs,
- Assist in the design and support of GIS applications,
- Assist in the design, quality control and maintenance of City-wide and departmental spatial data and related tabular data,
- Coordination and monitoring of GIS projects performed by outside consultants,
- Production, or coordination of the production, of maps and graphs using GIS software and related equipment.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Geography, or related field
- Minimum of one year of work experience in computer programming, computer mapping (with ESRI products) and database design and management:
- Knowledge of geo-processing and cartographic methods and capabilities
- Knowledge of relational database theory, database structures and data manipulation.
- Knowledge of GIS application software, such as ArcGIS Desktop
- Knowledge of software development environments such as VB.NET or C# and/or scripting languages such as Python or VBScript
- Knowledge of CityWorks or Power BI a plus
- A Master’s degree in Computer Science, GIS, Geography or other related field may substitute for experience requirement
- Valid Illinois Class D Driver’s License