Our family of companies provides wireless, business and residential local service, long distance, internet, web hosting and tower erection and maintenance services in the Midwest. Our green initiatives, commitment to customer service and local philanthropic efforts make us an employer of choice in the state of Wisconsin. We’re looking for individuals who are driven, enthusiastic and care about our community. More importantly, we like to hire people looking to grow with an organization and those who are excited about the ever-changing telecommunications industry.
The GIS Intern will assist in the completion and execution of our GIS and mapping projects as well as updating our records related to our outside plant projects. Specifically, this position will take documentation for contractors, engineering firms, internal documents and assist in the completion of updating our internal GIS database.
In addition, the GIS Interns will also support our internal engineering and management team related to special projects. This will consist of assisting the engineering and management team in a variety of projects related to outside plant record keeping, mapping and splicing documentation.
Responsibilities & Duties:
- Develop records information for ESRI ARCGIS database updates, Delorme Street Atlas.
- Complete splice records updates for all existing sites as well as new construction.
- Review construction and engineering documents to ensure all information is correct and accurate.
- Using Microsoft Excel, ESRI ARCGIS, DeLorme Street Atlas and AutoCAD complete a variety of outside plant drawings, such as, but not limited to, new construction projects, maintenance projects, update existing files, obtain GPS coordinates and related information for download into the ESRI ARCGIS database.
- Using engineering design specifications to work with contractor to verify existing project information.
- Assist in creating engineering department mapping and database documentation to support the outside network for the entire organization.
- Currently pursuing a BS in engineering or other technical discipline.
- General knowledge of GIS database systems, ESRI, Google Earth, Mapping programs, etc.
- General understanding of industry standards for outside plant construction, engineering, record keeping, permitting and easement requirements.
- Understanding of basic utility construction methodology.
- Familiarity with Delorme, ESRI ARCGIS, AutoCAD, Google Earth products, as well as general database concepts and principles desirable.
- Proficient personal computer skills including Microsoft Office Suite, including both Project and Visio.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.