City of Wauwatosa
This internship will provide first-hand experience in public sector for a GIS Student or recent graduate of a university/college program in geographic information systems (GIS) or closely related field. Flexible schedule available within regular business hours to accommodate course schedule. Up to 20 hours weekly. This position will have two main focuses; building and utilizing a transportation network and designing/updating utilities GIS.
- Performs routine data management tasks associated with the City’s public infrastructure GIS; including but not limited to data entry, edit, and capture.</li
- Assist the GIS Manager in creating a transportation network and related web products
- Assist staff in developing a new utilities database
- Utilize GPS equipment to collect various asset data
- Develop documentation for workflows
- Create, update, and maintain GIS layers
- Administrative and other duties as assigned
- Possibility of field work with GPS equipment
- Student or recent graduate of a university/college program in geographic information systems (GIS) or closely related field
- Strong understanding of concepts, data design, and data collection/creation as it relates to an enterprise geographic information system
- Proficiency with the ArcGIS Suite, specifically the ArcGIS for Desktop environment (programming/scripting a plus), and MS Office Suite
- Ability to learn new software and methods and solve problems.
- Attention to detail and accuracy when editing spatial features and attributes.
- Demonstrated organization skills, attention to detail and ability to perform assignments under minimal direction.
- Strong communication and organizational skills
This position receives direction and supervision from the GIS Manager.