City of Kenosha
GENERAL OVERVIEW OF POSITION:
The Engineering Division of the Public Works Department is seeking temporary Forestry/GIS Interns. This recruitment is open to all qualified individuals and will establish an eligibility list which will be used to fill the current vacancies and may be used to fill any other such openings in this classification which occur within the next 12 months. These positions are non-represented.
These positions are tentatively scheduled to work 8 hours per day, Monday through Friday, during the summer months. Working hours may be adjusted to accommodate summer classes towards academic degree as determined on a case-by-case basis.Work involves a variety of tasks primarily performed outdoors. Based on satisfactory performance as an Intern and academic progression toward a degree, incumbents may be rehired as an Intern next summer.
EXAMPLE OF DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Collect data and input to a geographic information systems (GIS).
- Update current City-wide tree inventory and sign inventory.
- Update other various City assets in GIS.
- Create and maintain WebMaps and WebApps
- High school diploma or GED/HSED.
- Must be enrolled in a 2 – 4 year college degree which incorporates engineering, GIS, geography, forestry, urban forestry, horticulture, arboriculture, plant biology, conservation, or environmental science or other related field.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Knowledge of basic GIS.
- Knowledge and proficiency in basic computer and GIS software applications.
- Knowledge of tree and plant species.
- Ability to use GIS field instruments and standard office equipment.
- Ability to learn quickly and work independently.
- Ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions.
- Ability to make accurate mathematical computations
- Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing.
- Ability to complete and maintain accurate records and reports.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships.
- Ability to handle reasonably necessary stress.