City of Kenosha
This is an EXPIRED job listing. Do not apply for this position!
Location: Kenosha, WI
Deadline to Apply: 03/31/2020
Payrate: $12.18 - $18.78 Hourly
More Information: GIS Intern
EXAMPLE OF DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Collects information from field sites, including the utilization of global system positioning system (GPS) surveying/mapping.
- Analyzes, verifies and imports data from various sources using PostgreSQL/PostGIS, Python scripting.
- Writes and maintains scripts/tools for data manipulation within Quantum Geographic Information System (QGIS).
- Creates scripts/apps that allow team members to view and modify database contents.
- Works with other team members to ensure data files are accurately built and loaded, and that project schedule deadlines are met.
- Operates GIS and standard office software, hardware and associated peripheral devices including CAD, GPS, plotters, scanners, etc.
- Assists with the preparation of maps, reports, charts, plans, specifications, and other documents by computer entry and retrieval.
- Reads and interprets maps and diagrams of municipal water and sewer facilities.
- Duplicates, assembles and collates materials.
- May need to respond to on-site inquiries from citizens regarding work being performed out in the field.
- Operates Class D vehicle to conduct field research or perform other work tasks.
- May perform seasonal Laborer duties such as grounds/building/vehicle maintenance tasks or other unskilled duties needed to support KWU operations.
- Currently enrolled as a student in good standing at an accredited college or university in pursuit of a Bachelor (4-year) degree with a major in Geographic Information Systems (GIS), Geography, Cartography, or other related field.
- Valid driver license with good driving record.
- If offered employment, must pass a driving record review, criminal background check and pre-employment drug screen.
- Knowledge of the current principles, methods and technologies related to Geographic Information Systems (GIS).
- Strong academic record in geography, GIS, Computer Science or other relevant field.
- Demonstrated knowledge and use of GIS software, preferably open-source such as Quantum Geographic Information System (QGIS).
- Excellent problem solving, communication and organizational skills.
- Familiarity with QGIS.
- Familiarity with geospatial programming languages and interfaces (e.e., PostgreSQL/PostGIS, Python) preferred.
- Skill in operating a variety of office equipment including plotter, copiers, scanners, computer and peripheral equipment, and printers.
- Ability to read and interpret maps, charts and plans.
- Ability to research and compile a variety of information.
- Ability to work effectively and efficiently independently and as part of a team.
- Ability to learn quick and focus on assignments.
- Ability to understand and carry out verbal and written instructions, with attention to detail and organization.
- Ability to handle reasonably necessary stress associated with this type of work.