City of St. Louis Park
This is an EXPIRED job listing. Do not apply for this position!
PRIMARY OBJECTIVE OF POSITION:
Assist Operations & Recreation Department in gathering asset field data to maintain the integrity and advance productive use of geographic information systems (GIS). Provide quality customer service and communications in daily duties.
This position is seasonal working up to 40 hours a week from May to end of October 2020.
Undergraduate intern pay range: $16.00 – $18.00/hour
Graduate intern pay range: $20.00 – $22.00/hour
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Collect data using GPS equipment, tablet (iPad), and digitizing off aerial photos.
- Create and edit spatial and non-spatial GIS data sets, perform analysis, data conversion, and maintain the integrity of data sets by keeping the data current and accurate. Work will be primarily focused on Public Works GIS data (utilities, streets, parks, and other infrastructure).
- Work with others to incorporate existing data and needs in to the GIS system and applications.
- Provide technical support for all software problems involving GIS.
- Produce layouts, charts, and GIS-related posters as requested.
- Assist others in obtaining a higher level of competence in the use of GIS tools.
- Scan and index paper records/documents.
- Provide graphics and maps and other related information to both internal and external customers as directed.
- Assist regular staff in providing technical troubleshooting to address specific needs and solve hardware and software problems.
- Perform other duties as assigned or apparent.
- Post-secondary enrollment pursuing a degree in GIS or related field.
- Experience with ArcMap, ArcCatalog, ArcGIS Online and/or other ESRI products.
- Valid MN driver’s license.
- Ability to communicate clearly and efficiently in writing, verbally, and electronically with people from all cultures and backgrounds.
- Demonstrated cultural competence and comfort with supporting the city’s strategic objective for advancing racial equity.
- Must be detail oriented with the ability to organize, plan and manage multiple tasks with minimal supervision.
- Ability to establish and maintain a good working relationships.
- Ability to physically perform all essential duties and responsibilities including sit or stand for prolonged periods of time, ability to kneel and bend, manual dexterity, and ability to operate assigned equipment.
- Ability to analyze and interpret civil engineering plans and utility data.
- Ability to operate GIS systems, including digital collected topography and terrain models and land databases.
- Prior experience working with and serving in a highly racially diverse environment.