The Village of Bellevue
This is an EXPIRED job listing. Do not apply for this position!
The Village of Bellevue (located in the Green Bay metropolitan area) is seeking to hire a part-time seasonal paid GIS/GPS Intern for the summer. This is a great opportunity to learn about municipal GIS and data management.
Under the general direction of the GIS/IT Manager; functions as the GIS/GPS Intern. The Intern will assist with the development, design, and data collection of municipal utility, land use, park, tree, facility, asset, etc. information. The Intern in this position performs routine and entry level technical geographic information systems and global positioning systems work. Interns in this position generally are persons pursuing higher education and require internship experience as a supplement to formal course work, resume building, or a recent graduate seeking job experience.
No employee benefits are offered with this position. This is a seasonal position, the Intern hours are very flexible and must work the minimum 35-40 hours per week, except during holiday weeks.
Applicant must have an intermediate understanding of the use and operations of ESRI ArcGIS products pertaining to ArcPro, ArcMap, ArcGIS Online, ArcGIS Story Maps, ArcCatalog, geodatabases, and spatial extensions; familiar with Open Source QGIS (Not required, but helpful), GPS, laser rangefinder, large/small format scanners, the methods, techniques, and procedures used in the maintaining, editing, and production of geographic data and mapping.
Must be a College Junior or Senior level undergraduate student, or a first or second year graduate student, or a recent undergraduate/graduate student who majored in geographic information systems, civil technician (2 Year Program), urban planning, land conservation, or environmental science.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
GIS, GPS, and Data Maintenance 75%
• Collects transportation, utility, park, tree, and facility features including the utilization of GPS and Laser Rangefinder.
• Research records, maps, and other data to obtain information such as location of municipal
owned utilities, easements, etc.
• Collects and updates data using ArcGIS, ArcGIS Pro, QGIS, AutoCAD (Optional) by performing onscreen digitizing of land use, physical/environmental and park features, facilities/assets, architectural, utilities, easements, and other municipal data.
• Data entry of engineering and architectural information from plans, drawings, CCTV, pavement rating, etc. into geospatial and/or database format(s).
• Data entry of legacy and existing data into CityWorks Asset Management System (AMS).
• Data entry of building permit, planning, code enforcement, etc. activities into EnerGov database program.
• Assist DPW Civil Technician, Operations Manager, Park Foreman, and other staff regarding
GIS/GPS/Survey data collection and inspection field work.
Mapping, Web mapping, Dashboard, Survey123, and Collector Development 10%
• Assist with the development and updates to hard copy and PDF maps.
• Assist with the development of ESRI web maps, Dashboards, Survey123, and Collector
Image Data Gathering and Quality Assurance 10%
• Scans site plans, building permits, as-built, architectural, utility, and other miscellaneous
documents using a small and/or large format scanner(s).
• Must be able to identify discrepancies in data digitized/scanned vs. archived paper documents.
• Georeference scanned images to Brown County Coordinate System via GIS.
• Link scanned indexed information to GIS features.
• Assist with upgrading GIS and CAD software to latest versions on all end user computers and mobile data terminals.
• May assist with other intern projects pertaining to GPS data collection and mapping
• Other miscellaneous work may be performed during the internship.
Essential Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
• Applicant must have an intermediate understanding of the use and operations of ESRI ArcMap,
ArcGIS Pro and ArcGIS Online; familiar with Open Source QGIS (not required, but helpful), GPS; the methods, techniques, and procedures used in the planning, designing, maintenance, editing, and production of geographic data and mapping.
• Applicant must be able to understand ArcGIS Mobile Collector App, Trimble TerraSync and
Pathfinder, Trimble GeoXH, R2, and/or Juno GPS, and iPad devices, scanning hardware, and other miscellaneous hardware/software applications.
• Applicant must be familiar with global positioning systems and methods used to collect data.
• Be able to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing; establish and maintain effective working relationships.
• Apply geographic principles and practices to the maintenance of a geographic information
• Applicant must be willing to work outside.
• Applicant must have attention to detail regarding GIS, scanning, and data entry tasks.
• Ability to work well independently and as part of a team.
Required Experience, Education and Training:
• Must be a College Junior or Senior level undergraduate student, or a first or second year
graduate student, or a recent undergraduate/graduate student who majored in geographic
information systems, urban planning, computer science (emphasis in GIS), or civil technician (2
• College course work in geographic information systems (mandatory), urban planning, surveying,
civil technologies and engineering, database principals, computer science, environmental
management, or closely related field would be helpful.
• Must possess a valid driver license with a good driving record.
• An equivalent combination of education and experience that demonstrates knowledge, skills
and abilities to perform the duties of the job may be considered.