U.S. Census Bureau
This is an EXPIRED job listing. Do not apply for this position!
- Use geographic information systems (GIS) and other geographic methods to identify, process, analyze, and compare geographic and demographic patterns.
- Review proposals, plans, and specification for geographic operations; studie and critique statistical methodology and general data collection specifications as the affect geographic support functions.
- Design, develop, and implement, GIS and other geographic methods to prepare spatial databases, and map population patterns.
- Acquire address lists from tax offices, city engineers, local planning agencies, utility companies, etc. in order enhance, update, or create address files included in the Master address file.
- Analyze and report on results of studies of population patterns and write reports, methods documents, and articles as well as create technical presentations for meetings and conferences.
- U.S. citizen an must be 18 years of older to be hired.
- Suitability/Background Investigation for Federal employment.
- Registered for Selective Service, if a male born after 12/31/1959
- This is a NON-BARGAINING unit position.
- A trial period may be required
Experience: Applicant must have one year of experience at a level of difficulty and responsibility equivalent to the GS-07 grade level in the Federal services. Experience for this position includes working with geographic information systems and address list development; performing geographic and/or geospatial analysis; preparing and writing technical documents, specifications, guidelines, and letters with clarity in concise language; experience conducting discussions, meetings, presentations for various audiences; experience working on teams to set priorities and project schedules; experience using automated tools to track projects; experience designing and running queries in databases.
Education: 2 years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to a master’s degree or master’s or equivalent graduate degree.
Experience: Applicant must have one year of experience at a level of difficulty and responsibility equivalent to the GS-09 grade level in the Federal services. Experience for this position includes assisting in planning and/or overseeing the implementation of one or more segments of a geographic operation; work with some independence translating goals and objectives into program specifications and procedures; reviewing and editing, for completeness, consistency, accuracy, and validity, a variety of geographic materials that may include maps, imagery, coordinates, tables, reports, technical specifications, presentations, and other documents and similar items; establishes quality standards for the components of a geographic system or project and determines methodology for ensuring that the standards are met.
Education: 3 years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to a Ph.D. degree or Ph.D. or equivalent doctoral degree.
Experience: Applicant must have one year of experience at a level of difficulty and responsibility equivalent to the GS-11 grade level in the Federal services. Experience for this position includes planning, researching, and implementing the full scope of investigative projects requiring application of geographic concepts, approaches, and a broad understanding of geographic relationships throughout the United States; adapting a variety of methods and develops new procedures for application to geographic projects; conducts research to determine the types of equipment and software needed in order to organize and develop ways of accessing and analyzing geographic data; perform technical reviews of official geographic, demographic, housing, and/or economic data for patterns, trends, consistency, and relationship to project activities; identify and solve problems in processing procedures, and to verify overall consistency and validity of data and products.