East Central Wisconsin Regional Planning Commission (ECWRPC) is looking for an energetic and dynamic professional to work with the GIS Team to develop digital thematic data sets and mapping analysis in reports and presentations. The GIS/Planning Assistant will provide technical assistance and support to planning staff, processing land use data, analysis of various dataset, etc. Other experience (communications, outreach and/or graphic design.) is considered a plus as this position will occasionally work on other planning projects or programs under the supervision and direction of various Commission staff.
The Commission provides the basic information and planning services necessary to solve problems which transcend the corporate boundaries and fiscal capabilities of individual governmental jurisdictions. The Commission has a statutory duty to prepare and adopt comprehensive plans for the physical development of the region. Such plans include land use, transportation, open space, economic development and environmental management elements. The Commission also provides technical assistance to participating governments with issues of concern to that jurisdiction. Other major Commission program areas include Transportation, Economic Development, Sewer Service Area Planning and Comprehensive Planning.
- Working with planning staff to collect and analyze qualitative and quantitative data, and prepares analytical analyses, presentations, graphics and reports for ECWRPC’s core services (Transportation, EDA, Sewer Service Area and Comprehensive Planning).
- Interpreting aerial orthophotography for land use classification.
- Development of web-based mapping solutions.
- Assist with field work including asset management, setting up Miovision cameras, bicycle and walk audits, bicycle and pedestrian counters, etc.
- Bachelor’s degree in in geography, cartography, planning or related field required
- Experience with ESRI Desktop required and knowledge of ArcGIS Online, ModelBuilder, Python, Adobe Creative Suite preferred.
- Ability to communicate effectively to planning staff and a variety of organizations.
- Experience in developing and maintaining effective working relationships with multiple stakeholders to facilitate partnerships.
- Strong background in writing and developing technical assistance materials.
- Self-motivated, creative, detail-oriented and energetic.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Organized and able to manage multiple projects simultaneously, with excellent attention to detail.
- Advanced level of proficiency and previous experience in a variety of computer software applications, especially web browsers, MS Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.