This is an EXPIRED job listing. Do not apply for this position!
We are seeking a Spatial Data Scientist – Analyst (Entry-level), to support the company’s Infrastructure Analytics Unit. Reporting to the Global Director, IAU, this will be a full time, permanent position.
It is preferred to have the position based in one of our Canada or USA offices (Ottawa, Toronto, Montreal or Washington D.C), however in consideration to current COVID-19 precautions, full time remote will be an option.
Some travel to support projects and business development activities will be required, conditions permitting.
Summary of Role
Requiring a multi-skilled individual with a quantitative background, the role of the Spatial Data Scientist – Analyst leverages and combines the power of data science and GIS – analytically and cartographically – to discover patterns and trends through spatial mapping, develop mapping applications and tools and manage geospatial databases, among other duties. By articulating and visualizing spatial data in such a way, this role helps to inform and develop planning studies and reports in support of informed policy/program changes and global infrastructure investments across a wide variety of sectors including transportation, power, social infrastructure and water. As a member of IAU, this role not only involves working as part of a team, but also with project managers, clients, and stakeholders.
Under the guidance of a project director and other senior consultants, contribute to different stages of the project lifecycle:
- Execute spatial analytics using a variety of open-sourced and licensed GIS software, datasets, and proprietary assets while clearly and constructively communicating such findings.
- Conduct data gathering, processing, creation, manipulation, quality review and analysis from various sources/ formats in order to assess analytical feasibility.
- Develop eye-catching visualizations and concise written materials to communicate analysis/model results to non-technical audiences.
- Support various business development efforts, including tracking market developments, building and maintaining relationships with clients and partners, and maintaining the currency and relevancy of Global Unit marketing collateral.
- Provide technical support and input on business development for advisory mandates on infrastructure projects.
- In support of CPCS’s knowledge strategy, proactively and regularly identify and capture knowledge that can be leveraged on business development and project efforts.
- Champion the use of CPCS knowledge assets by maintaining familiarity with the available resources and disseminating them to CPCS to aid in developing proposals, reports, presentations, etc.
- Contribute to CPCS Culture by fostering an efficient, innovative, and team oriented environment while identifying opportunities for improvement in CPCS policies, processes, systems, templates, etc.
- Liaise with project teams, partner firms, and clients.
Requirements and Experience
- Exceptional academic achievement with a Bachelor’s degree in a quantitative, STEM, or related discipline.
- Passionate about compiling, analyzing, and disseminating location-based, spatial intelligence to inform policy and infrastructure investments.
- Exposure to or experience with one or more of: ESRI suite, QGIS, Carto, Manifold, Mapbox, TransCAD
- An understanding / desire to learn about the role of transportation, energy and the built environment in society.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Strong organizational skills with a proven ability to manage and prioritize multiple tasks in order to prepare deliverables under tight timelines.
- Ability to work individually or on teams while maintaining an openness to coaching and feedback.
- Pursue continuous learning and skill development opportunities in order to mature products and services offerings over time.
- Comfortable questioning the status quo and thinking intelligently about how to implement solutions or improvements while codifying the best workflow practices.
- Ability to operate in large, multicultural environment with geographically dispersed teams.
- The legal right to work in Canada or the United States, and the ability/willingness to travel domestically and internationally as required (conditions permitting).
- CPCS would not lead an immigration process but we are happy to support work permit applications or applications for permanent residence to Canada by providing necessary letters of support.
Other desired skills and attributes
- Academic or practical experience utilizing a variety of following tools: Python, R, Jupyter, PostgreSQL, PostGIS, MySQL, NoSQL, ArangoDB,
- Exposure to the following tools: D3.js, React, Ruby, Leaflet.js
- Techniquies: Time series, Discrete choice, Agent-based, System Dynamics, Digital Ledgers
- Relevant educational exposure, experience or demonstrated interest in the transportation or energy sectors.
- Bi-lingual or multi-lingual, preferably in French, Spanish, or Portuguese.