St. Mary's University
This is an EXPIRED job listing. Do not apply for this position!
Reporting to the Executive Director of GeoSpatial Services, the GIS and Natural Resource Technician will support a variety of spatial data development and resource assessment projects. Job responsibilities will include working as a member of technical teams to undertake ArcGIS-based wetland delineation and classification; providing quality assurance and quality control for student workers engaged in spatial data development; providing support for GIS-
based modeling and analysis in both raster and vector formats; contributing to the research and writing of complex natural resource assessment documents; and, working with digital remote sensing images (aerial and space based) in order to develop ArcGIS spatial databases of classified natural features, land cover and/or land use activities for use in natural resource planning applications. This position may also involve the collection and analysis of field data as part of survey teams in order to improve interpretation accuracy and validate final classified spatial data.
Essential Skills and Abilities:
- Thorough understanding of the theory, principles and application of GIS technology for natural resource management applications.
- Knowledge of and experience with heads-up spatial data development using ArcMap and other ESRI GIS tools.
- Ability to view, interpret and classify natural landscapes (particularly wetlands) from aerial and spaced-based digital imagery.
- Familiarity with application of the Federal wetland mapping standard Classification of Wetland and Deepwater Habitats of the United States and other classification systems.
- Familiarity with the USGS National Hydrography Dataset and associated mapping standards.
- Interest in and knowledge of web-based spatial data delivery technologies and tools.
- Application of the principles of photogrammetry, wetland science, hydrology, soil science, vegetation identification and geomorphology in support of image interpretation and classification.
- Quality assurance and quality control.
- Budget and timeline accountability.
- Participation as a team member in GIS product design, maintenance and development.
Education and Experience:
The successful candidate must support, respect, and advance the mission of Saint Mary’s University as a Lasallian Catholic institution.
Requires an accredited Bachelor’s degree (Master’s preferred) in biology, ecology, natural resources, environmental science, geography or a related field with additional education and/or work experience focused on the application of GIS technology. A minimum of 2 years work experience in spatial data development for natural resource management applications. Demonstrated proficiency in: spatial data development projects using ArcGIS and related tools; scientific research and report writing; and, working in a team environment.