City of Madison
This is an EXPIRED job listing. Do not apply for this position!
The Planning Division is searching for an Intern to assist in the transportation planning work of the staff in the Regional Transportation Planning section of the City’s Planning Division, which staffs the Greater Madison Metropolitan Planning Organization (MPO). The work will primarily consist of assisting the MPO in creating GIS data sets to support the MPO’s transportation planning work. This includes editing and formatting GIS databases, attributing data, and spatial analysis. May also involve creating tables and graphics of data to be incorporated into plan documents.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Assist in developing and maintaining GIS data sets using Esri’s ArcGIS Desktop to support the Intersection Safety Network Screening Study.
- Edit transportation related data including roadway characteristics such as traffic volume, lanes, speed, and intersection control.
- Edit geodatabase of locational data of crashes, schools, alcohol establishments.
- Perform digitizing and attribute entry of GIS data layers using various sources such as orthophotography, Google Street View, and engineering drawings.
- Perform data quality control checks and topology.
- Maintain metadata for datasets.
- Assist in general spatial analysis using ArcGIS Desktop geoprocessing tools.
- Calculate proximity of educational and alcohol establishments.
- Calculate population density.
- Summarize crash location data and related variables.
- Maintain metadata of analysis processes.
Qualified candidates will be actively enrolled in college pursuing a Bachelors or Masters Degree in Geography, GIS, Urban/Regional Planning, Civil Engineering, Urban Studies, or related studies or programs.
The number of hours per week is flexible, but it is anticipated it would be 10-20 hours per week. Start and end times are flexible within the hours of 8 am-4:30 pm. Working in a remote environment will be required to some extent. Working from home is an option depending upon the incumbent’s computer equipment/resources.