The GIS Coordinator provides administration and technical expertise to assist in developing and maintaining the County’s geographical information system (GIS) and County Land Information Program. This position coordinates with multiple departments to develop valuable geospatial datasets that can be implemented in the countywide GIS and that meet the goals of the Wisconsin Land Information Program. The GIS Coordinator will provide system and data support, training, and education to other departments as needed. Responsible for providing truthful and accurate written and verbal communications.
Essential Job Functions
- Serves as the Land Information Officer for the County.
- Maintains / updates the Land Modernization Plan, grants and reports as required by the State.
- Prepares Land Information Budget with the Land Use Services Director and oversite committees.
- Develops Geographic Information System standards and policies for the County.
- Maintains the County GIS and Land Information geospatial datasets and GIS Web portal.
- Administer the County Rural Addressing ordinance.
- Assist the Real Property Lister in administration of the County Land Subdivision Ordinance.
- Provides GIS technical support and training to the various County Departments in regard to effective and efficient use of the GIS to complete their daily, weekly and annual mission.
- Provides technical assistance, advice and reports status of on-going GIS projects to the Information Systems Committee, and the Land Information Counsel; advisory committee to the TS Committee.
- Provides information to the public regarding inquiries on a variety of mapping resources and issues.
General Job Functions
- Provide various PC related support to other County employees.
- Work with Technical Services Department in the deployment of GIS technology or services.
Training and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in related field such as geography, cartography, land use planning.
- Experience with ESRI’s ArcGIS Desktop and ArcGIS Server.
- A minimum of two (2) years of experience in GIS/automated mapping.
- A minimum of two (2) years’ applicable experience required.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities Required
- Proficient skills in the use of ESRI products, most specifically ArcGIS Desktop, ArcGIS Server, and ArcGIS Online; programming experience is a plus. Knowledge of AutoCAD is also a plus.
- Knowledge of the principals of photogrammetry and the use of LiDAR technology along with knowledge of public land survey system.
- Knowledge of different methods for acquiring geodetic data of varied accuracies and the ability to correctly represent the information in digital map form.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relations GIS professionals in an effort to gain knowledge on the current and future use of GIS products that would improve the County GIS.
- Ability to use tact and courtesy in maintaining an effective working relationship with department employees, county supervisors, county officials, and general public.
- Knowledge of geography, legal descriptions, cartography.
- General understanding of, or experience with PC server and PC Client computer software and hardware.
- Ability to work independently to creatively solve problems.
- Ability to work with private information in a professional and confidential manner.
- Ability to read, comprehend, and communicate, both verbally and in writing.