Lead the development, implementation, and ongoing operations of the GIS Professional Programs (GISPP) unit to ensure effectiveness in meeting strategic, departmental, and student development goals. Direct administrative oversight and curriculum development ensuring optimal integration of student and instructor activities. Ensure resource allocation supports the program’s primary objectives. Manage a small team of professionals who support the programs.
85% or more of duties:
- Direct and execute the development and implementation of GISPP initiatives, including but not limited to instruction, academic advising, curriculum development, marketing and recruitment, outreach, financial planning, and program assessment, reporting, and program reviews.
- Formulate program strategies and goals, direct long-term planning, develop policies and procedures, and establish and maintain new and emerging program materials
- Supervise the day to day activities of work unit employees involved in instructional and marketing/communication support. Exercise supervisory authority, including hiring, training, scheduling, supervision, performance assessment, discharging, assigning, rewarding, disciplining, and/or approving hours worked.
- Responsible for developing curricular strategy and assuring quality of the curriculum; identifying and resolving issues of redundant or outdated curricular components to ensure accuracy and alignment with instructional strategy and unit objectives; leading efforts to identify opportunities for unexplored curriculum development.
- Oversee the development, implementation, and on-going evaluation and continuous improvement of assessment policies, practices, and processes to support academic, curricular, and course planning, teaching effectiveness, and student learning.
- Serve as a subject matter expert and principal liaison between the program and University leadership and outside entities. Collaborate with multiple stakeholders (learning specialists, instructors, program coordinators, department chairs, faculty/staff, instructional designers, media specialists, and other technical resources) to provide current, relevant, innovative, and pedagogically sound solutions that enhance instructional delivery, promote active learning, refine critical thinking, and increase student success. Facilitate communication between instructors, content creators (subject matter experts or faculty), and the instructional design team.
- Direct the development and implementation of marketing strategy and maintain responsibility for overseeing marketing and recruitment plans in support of program goals.
- Serve as GISPP student academic/ faculty advisor. Provide academic advising resources and services related to coursework and career planning. Conducts program exit interviews and reviews graduating MS student final projects/ portfolios.
- Assist with instruction as needed.
15% or more of duties:
- Approve unit expenditures. Provide guidance to GISPP Coordinator and department and/or University leadership regarding financial planning, funding, staffing, and space implications.
- Participate in internal and external education groups and initiatives (i.e. ESRI Innovation Program).
- Represent programs and participate in program promotion and recruitment at conferences and other events.
- Serve on relevant Geography Department committee(s).
- Collaborate with GISPP Coordinator on strategic planning, program reporting, budgeting, program admission reviews, student and alumni relations, graduation and commencement planning, and other administrative duties and initiatives as needed.
Degree & Area of Specialization
MS in Geography or a field related to the position required. PhD in Geography or a field related to the position preferred.
Minimum Years & Type of Relevant Work Experience
- Minimum number of years of relevant work experience: 3 years required, 5+ years preferred.
- 3 years required work experience includes:
- Experience in a higher education academic setting
- Experience in formal or informal student advising
- Experience with online/distance learning
- Experience in GIS/Cartography curriculum development and instruction
- Experience leading and supervising a small team
- Technical experience and knowledge in GIS and Cartography concepts, software, tools, and applications related to programming, cartographic design, web and mobile app development, database design and administration.
- Technical experience and knowledge in online Learning Management Systems such as Canvas and tools for team communication and collaboration such as Slack and Microsoft Teams
- 5+ years preferred work experience:
- Industry experience in GIS and/or cartography
- Formal training (minor, or degree) in GIS and/or cartography
- Experience with strategic planning in academic setting