City of Blaine
This is an EXPIRED job listing. Do not apply for this position!
The second level of the GIS Series is responsible for providing specialized technical assistance and implementation and deployment support for assigned functions of the division. Responsibilities include producing and maintaining GIS data, maps, and reports; assisting in GIS development; GIS integration of data; updating GIS data sets; and responding to GIS information requests.
Examples of Duties
- Prepares and maintains datasets and databases which includes: locating documents; translating map features; and maintaining data in accordance with procedures.
- Creates and updates geospatial and related attribute data to ensure accuracy and compliance with standards; creates, maps, reports, and related communication tools in support of geographic planning and analysis.
- Performs tests, documentation, and training to support the development and customization of GIS web and field applications.
- Responds to requests for information from internal departments and external customers; confers with individuals to determine data and GIS needs.
- Provides technical assistance and/or training on hardware and software use and issues.
- Performs other duties of a similar nature or level.
Examples of job duties may include, but are not limited to:
- Provide GIS and technical support to applications and software that utilize GIS data.
- Utilize APIs and GIS web services.
- Train and direct others in use and functionality of associated GIS tools, software and applications, and to provide end user support on an as needed basis.
- Perform multiple assignments and plan, organize and coordinate projects for self while aligning with GIS department priorities.
- Develop reports, produce metadata, document standard operating procedures, and develop training manuals.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- GIS procedures and processes.
- GIS database administration procedures and processes.
- GIS software applications including Esri and open source.
- Cartographic design and mapping procedures and processes to prepare maps.
- Mathematical procedures and processes to perform mathematical calculations.
- Surveying procedures and processes.
- Operating computers and applicable software applications.
- Operating GIS equipment.
- Creating and maintaining databases.
- Applying communication, interpersonal skills as applied to interaction with subordinates, coworkers, supervisor, the general public, etc. sufficient to exchange or convey information and to receive work direction.
- Associate’s degree in GIS or related field and three years GIS OR related experience or the equivalent combination of education and experience.
- One year experience with Esri mobile applications.
- Valid drivers license.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution in Geographic Information Systems, Computer Science, Geography, Cartography, or closely related field.
- Public utilities work experience (including seasonal employment).
- One year of experience with Mapfeeder, PubWorks Asset Management, GeoMoose, OpenLayers, ArcEnterprise, SQL, postgreSQL/postGIS, QGIS, AutoCAD, and/or other Open Source GIS applications.