This is an EXPIRED job listing. Do not apply for this position!
Employee will provide professional and technical information and support to Marathon County landowners in completing applications for and ensuring compliance with the Marathon County Zoning Ordinances, including Shoreland, Shoreland-Wetland, and Floodplain Ordinance, and Land Division Ordinance. Estimated annual hours for this position is 1,200 to 1,500 hours.
Bachelor’s degree in natural resources, conservation, or closely related major; OR an associate’s degree in a natural resources related field and 1-3 years’ experience; OR equivalent combination of closely related education and/or work experience. Valid driver’s license required and a good driving record that meets County standards.
Example of Work Preformed
Provides support to the zoning program by working with property owners to ensure compliance with County zoning ordinances by completing the following tasks:
- Issue permits, meet with landowners, and conduct on-site inspections.
- Advise permit applicants about the general requirements of Marathon County Ordinances, including general zoning, shoreland zoning, shoreland-wetland, floodplain, and Private Onsite Waste Treatment Systems (POWTS).
- Advise permit applicants about requirements for other regulatory programs administered by town, state, and federal agencies.
- Assist with completion of permit applications; assist applicants with creating site plans for permits; refers permit applicants to permitting agencies when applicable.
- Clearly communicate all permitting options and requirements to applicants, both orally and in writing.
- Conduct on-site inspections of land to determine compliance with permit conditions, assesses impact on land use practices, and makes recommendations for appropriate land use practices.
- Provide determination on permit completion and compliance
- Provide exceptional customer service to Marathon County residents seeking relevant permits.
- Prepare a variety of maps using GIS technology.
- Develop solutions to work issues that add value for our customers.
- Maintain regular and predictable attendance.
- Perform related work as required.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
- Knowledge of the Marathon County Zoning Ordinances and related town, state, and federal ordinances.
- Ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions.
- Skill in active listening, giving full attention to what others are saying, and taking appropriate action.
- Ability to effectively communicate with customers and answer questions related to the administration and enforcement of zoning programs.
- Ability to investigate potential violations and work with other staff to resolve issues.
- Ability to work outdoors in adverse weather conditions.
- Ability to follow safety rules.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with other employees and other agencies which the department works closely with.
- Skill in actively looking for ways to improve service to residents and meet their needs efficiently.
- Skill in utilizing a computer software to perform required job duties.
- Ability to contribute to a positive work culture that fosters excellent customer service and teamwork.