WI Department of Health Services
State of Wisconsin Department of Health Services GIS Team is seeking a part time limited term employee to assist with essential geographic information systems work for normal operations as well as specific pandemic-related efforts. Pay rate is up to $23.00/hour with no additional employment benefits. Hours per week is flexible but should average no more than 20 per week over a 52-week period for a maximum of 1039 hours per year. Work will be performed part remotely and part in office with frequent interaction with supervisor, team members, and customers. State of Wisconsin is an equal opportunity employer and a criminal background check is required prior to formal hire. This is a great opportunity for an advanced student or early-career GIS professional to gain key job experience!
Essential Job Functions:
- Re-project, convert, edit, or create geographic data as necessary using ArcGIS, ArcPro and/or QGIS.
- Assure GIS spatial, attribute, and metadata quality.
- Create and update data models for spatial data sets.
- Frequent communication and documentation of progress will be required.
- Prepare GIS data and cartographic layouts for various DHS programs.
- Update and maintain a wide variety of critical public-health-related spatial data and documentation.
- Research and compare technology tools and applications.
- Perform extensive work on address data preparation, validation, and geocoding.
- Participate in delivering GIS and geocoding training content to staff.
- Fluency with ArcGIS 10.x suite of products. Familiarity with ArcPro.
- Ability to independently learn new software and methods and solve problems.
- Attention to detail and accuracy when editing spatial features and attributes.
- Experience using relational databases such as Microsoft Access, SQL Server, PostgreSQL/PostGIS.
- Possession of excellent writing and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to accurately document complex technology processes and protocols.
- Ability and desire to organize data and map layers in a repository.
- Mastery of core GIS principles.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office and Adobe products.
- Knowledge and experience with web-based mapping systems.
- Proven ability to work well independently and in collaboration with others.
- Excellent sense of cartographic principles and design elements.
- Commitment to following data security protocols and best practices.
- A criminal background check is required prior to an employment offer.
- Applicants without relevant course work or work experience in GIS will not be considered.
- Familiarity with spatial metadata standards.
- Ability to provide 1st level support to other GIS users.
- Desire to provide outstanding quality spatial data services to a variety of program areas and staff.
- Familiarity with geocoding methods and services.
- Experience with geoprocessing, preferably with ESRI Model Builder or QGIS.
- Geodatabase experience, including creation of domains and data model development.
Send the following to Andy Swartz by October 22 at 5:00 p.m. CDT:
- Cover letter
- List of relevant course work and professional training.