State of Minnesota
This is an EXPIRED job listing. Do not apply for this position!
The Geographic Information Officer and Director position for Minnesota IT Services (MNIT) serves as the Director of the Minnesota Geospatial Information Office (MnGeo) in providing leadership to the state’s geographic information system (GIS) community by maintaining technical current, fostering the growth and development of GIS, coordinating state GIS programs through standards and maintaining a delivery capacity for planning information, analysis tools and customer services.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Advise MNIT Executives regarding policy, strategies, and operational matters concerning programs related to geospatial services and data
- Oversee and coordinate operations of lines of business of the Geospatial Office
- Direct and oversee the office’s fiscal affairs, including development and management of the biennial budget, adherence to fiscal policies and practices, and the development and implementation of business plans
- Manage employee relations, costs, productivity, hiring, performance, and retention for direct reports
- Develop, promote, guide and implement a strategic plan for enterprise GIS within the state, including the promotion, development and use of statewide GIS standards
- Serve as a principal state point of contact and representative to federal agencies and national organizations concerning GIS issues of statewide importance
- Guide the development and implementation of a statewide access to geographic information, data, tools, and services
- Guide the activities of Geospatial Office products and services to other government agencies using a geospatial services delivery approach
- Serve as the lead to coordinate management of geospatial technology, data, and services between state and local governments
- Work to avoid or eliminate unnecessary duplication of existing GIS technology services and systems, including services provided by other public and private organizations while building on existing governmental infrastructures
Position requires a minimum of six (6) years of experience related to GIS, demography, planning, resource management, geography, methods of statistical analysis and modeling, and information technology, AND a minimum of three (3) years of supervisory or managerial experience. Supervisory/managerial experience should cover multiple areas, such as: selecting, orienting, and training employees; coaching, counseling, and performance managing employees; planning, monitoring, and appraising job results; etc.
Experience must include:
- Advanced degree (Bachelor’s degree or higher) related to Geographic Information Systems, Information Technology or related field
- Experience overseeing the development and implementation of internet applications and web services to deliver services to the public, especially those integrated with DBMS systems and web mapping technologies
- Experience with providing coordination, leadership, consultation, integration and delivery of technology services with GIS infrastructure and GIS programs
- Leading and managing multiple teams, projects, and initiatives
- Effective relationship building across technical and non-technical peers to champion GIS initiatives and influence process
- Effective communication and management of stakeholders and direct leadership
- Proven experience preparing and managing large and complex budgets
- Experience coordinating geospatial technology, data, and services for a variety of stakeholders including federal, state, and local governments