Winnebago County, IL
This is an EXPIRED job listing. Do not apply for this position!
Under direction of the Regional Planning and Economic Development Department, the Geographic Information Systems (GIS) & Zoning Specialist will be responsible for County GIS updates with regards to, but not limited to: addressing, zoning, and thematic mapping, data collection and data input, database management, and spatial analysis. This position also assists with zoning and planning administration.
ILLUSTRATIVE EXAMPLES OF WORK:
1. Serve as the primary contact person regarding map requests from the public, professionals and County employees.
2. Provide timely and accurate customer service for map requests using ESRI ArcGIS.
3. Assign and verifies addresses for new and existing developments and subdivisions in the County.
4. Assist with the management of planning related databases, projects, and GIS training for department staff.
5. Provide departmental GIS support and evaluation on a variety of planning related issues; including land use planning, code amendments, and other projects.
6. Assist with the coordination of GIS activities with the department and represent concerns to other County departments and consulting agencies.
7. Assist with the planning, development and management of various grants and special projects.
8. Assists with processing development applications, residential or commercial permits and plans, handled customer inquiries at the counter, over the phone, or by email.
9. Evaluate subdivision plats for conformance with County policy and codes; such as mapping standards and practices, addressing, and zoning / subdivision requirements.
10. Conducts historic property research, reads, interprets, and maps legal descriptions, and occasionally performs site (field) visits.
11. Digitizes proposed developments (building, parking lots, landscaping plans, etc.).
12. Performs other related duties as assigned or required.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
• Requires a four-year degree in GIS, Civil Engineering, Planning, Computer Science or other related field; a minimum of three (3) years experience; or equivalent combination of experience and education.
• Must be proficient in ESRI software, including ArcMap (Advanced) and ArcCatalog.
• Must have a thorough knowledge of mapping concepts; including projections, topology, relational databases and cartographic production.
• Knowledge of zoning and the principles of community and urban planning is preferred.
• Must be detail oriented.
• Must have a demonstrated ability to learn new technologies. Ability to work effectively in a team setting.
• Ability to effectively communicate in written and oral form. Ability to travel for work purposes as required.