Job Description and Duties:
Primary responsibilities will include processing and managing enterprise geospatial data;
gathering requirements from DNR staff; configuring applications using ArcGIS Online and
ArcGIS Portal; and spatial analyses to support on-going climate, environmental justice,
hydrography and other projects.
40% GIS Data Processing, Editing and Visualization
A.1. Acquire GIS datasets from various sources. This work may include reprojecting data,
documenting metadata and reformatting data to meet DNR requirements.
A.2. Contact other agencies and organizations to acquire data.
A.3. Acquire tabular data and reformat it to link with GIS datasets.
A.4. Edit GIS data in ArcSDE and other sources using ArcGIS Desktop (ArcMap or ArcGIS Pro).
Perform quality control.
A.5. Document processing steps and follow DNR best practices for file storage, data editing and map service publishing.
A.6.Develop and publish map, feature and image services using ArcGIS desktop.
A.7. Design maps and graphics using ArcGIS Desktop and Excel.
30% Configure GIS applications
B.1. Gather and document requirements from stakeholders. Develop design plan.
B.2. Use ArcGIS Online, ArcGIS Hub and ArcGIS Portal to configure web mapping applications using templates.
B.3. Follow web mapping application development and publishing standard operating
B.4. Develop user technical and training documentation.
30% Support spatial analyses
C.1. Perform analyses to analyze the relationship of geospatial data layers. This work will
include summarizing data by geographic zones such as census tracts and performing standard
geoprocessing (eg. union, intersects).
C.2. Summarize tabular data in Excel using charts and pivot tables.
C.3. Perform spatial analyses using ArcGIS desktop tools.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills and Abilities (KSA’s):
* Knowledge of Environmental Systems Research Institute (ESRI) ArcGIS Desktop software
(ArcMap, ArcGIS Pro), including extensions and tools (e.g., Spatial Analyst, 3D Analyst, Model
* Knowledge of fundamental methodologies to perform technical geospatial data collection,
processing, coordinate conversion, QA/QC, distribution, management, etc.
* Knowledge of fundamental methodologies of mapping sciences and cartographic design.
* Ability to follow standard operating procedures and pay attention to details.
* Proficiency with Microsoft office products including Access, Excel, Word, Skype, Power Point,and SharePoint.
* Knowledge of ArcGIS Online development tools.
* Knowledge of SQL and Python scripting languages.
* Analysis, evaluation and problem-solving skills.
* Organizational and time management skills. Ability to handle multiple priorities and
coordinate many tasks at once.