City of Janesville
This is an EXPIRED job listing. Do not apply for this position!
The City of Janesville’s Public Works Department is looking for an enthusiastic Geography or GIS student to assist with the City’s GIS and asset management program. The City’s GIS team is responsible for using the latest ArcGIS technology to collect, build, and maintain the City’s extensive GIS database which includes over 300 miles of public infrastructure. This position is designed to build on skills learned in the classroom by offering hands-on experience and exposure to working with geographic data associated with the City’s sanitary sewer and watermain utility system.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Assist the GIS team with creating, editing and maintaining the Utility Division’s infrastructure data in GIS.
- Interact with GIS professionals, technicians, engineers, and Utility Division staff regarding GIS project tasks.
- Create comprehensive static maps and interactive webmaps utilizing ESRI ArcGIS software.
- Use mobile ArcGIS data collection technology to collect data associated with public sanitary sewer and water distribution infrastructure.
- Other duties as assigned.
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required to perform the essential duties of the position.
Qualifications, Education and Experience
- Be pursuing a bachelor’s degree in Geography, Geographic Information Systems, Engineering, Technology, or Urban Planning from an accredited college or university. Other related science and technology studies may be acceptable.
- Be familiar with Microsoft Office.
- Experience with ESRI ArcMap or ArcGIS Pro is preferred.
- Have desire to learn more about GIS, asset management, and public infrastructure.
- Valid state-issued driver’s license is required.
- General understanding of GIS practices.
- Skilled in Microsoft software, including Word, Excel, and Outlook.
- Excellent organizational, analytical, judgement, and problem-solving skills.
- Communicating with team members, math, and computer applications.
- Learn new software, methods, and solve problems.
- Learn GIS software and practices associated with geodatabases, ArcGIS Enterprise, ArcGIS Online, ArcGIS Pro, and researching and reading engineering construction plans.
- Work independently.
- Interact/respond to citizen inquires or guide them to the appropriate service.
- Maintain a positive attitude and professional demeanor at all times; address resident and customer concerns in a helpful, courteous manner.
- Operate City vehicles and equipment in a safe manner.
- Maintain a valid driver’s license and drive a vehicle.