Wisconsin Geological and Natural History Survey
This is an EXPIRED job listing. Do not apply for this position!
The Wisconsin Geological and Natural History Survey (WGNHS), a part of the University of Wisconsin-Madison, Division of Extension, is an interdisciplinary organization that conducts earth-science surveys, field studies, and research to produce information used by government organizations, industry, businesses, tribes, and individuals for decision making, problem solving, planning, management, development, and education. Survey staff members conduct topical as well as local, regional, and statewide research projects related to the geology, mineral resources, and water resources of the state or region; collect and archive data and physical samples; analyze these data and samples; communicate results to the public; and respond to numerous requests for technical advice, education, and service.
Under the supervision of the Assistant Director for Technical Operations, and in cooperation with other GIS staff, the Project GIS Specialist provides expertise in geospatial software, data management, and analytical techniques for WGNHS mapping and research projects. Primary responsibilities include providing GIS support for geologic mapping projects through management and integration of water well construction report databases, and development and integration of bedrock topographic maps and models. Additional duties include assisting with review and quality checks of geologic datasets and collaborating in management of enterprise geodatabase and ArcGIS Server instances. The Project GIS Specialist will also provide GIS support to WGNHS staff.
This is a one-year fixed-term appointment with likely renewal for a second year, with further renewal contingent on available funding.
Performs spatial analysis using online tools and project management techniques. Creates both mapping applications and may create data visualizations.
- 40% Creates maps and performs a wide range of geospatial analyses in support of a variety of projects
- 10% Manages a wide variety of project-specific and reference geospatial data in accordance with defined data management standards
- 10% Gathers, verifies, and coordinates data used for spatial analysis, data sciences, field operations, mapping, and data visualizations across programs and other agencies
- 10% May support geospatial field data collection efforts
- 10% May train and consult with GIS users as needed
- 10% Collaborates with research, production, and other GIS staff on project deliverables, visuals, and publications
- 10% Assists with administration and management of enterprise geodatabase, ArcGIS Server, and ArcGIS Online
1. At least 3 years of relevant professional experience;
2. Strong background in ArcGIS Desktop (ArcMap) and ArcGIS Pro for data management and analysis;
3. Experience in management and analysis of geoscience data and maps, including raster interpolation, terrain analysis techniques, and geologic mapping conventions;
4. Familiarity with ArcGIS Server and ArcGIS Online, including publishing and managing web services;
5. Familiarity with programing or scripting languages, for instance MATLAB, Python, Rcode, or similar;
6. Experience with configuration, management, and versioning of enterprise geodatabases (ArcSDE);
7. Experience with ArcGIS Field Maps or other field data collection applications;
8. Strong attention to detail;
9. Knowledge and skills to effectively interact with people from different cultural backgrounds, including those associated with race, ethnicity, national origin, religion, socioeconomic status, age, gender, disability, sexual orientation, and other aspects of human diversity.
1. Five or more years of professional experience in GIS or data management;
2. Experience with management or analysis of water well construction report records, or other geologic subsurface data;
3. Familiarity with the Geologic Map Schema (GeMS);
4. Experience writing SQL scripts for checks of data quality and consistency;
5. Experience with management of or development for a relational database management system;
6. Experience with creation of geologic surfaces for stratigraphic or depth to bedrock studies.